Bonaire Trip Disaster!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know....

You would figure that with all the stuff with Sept 11th....our baggage would be more secure than ever......

Ok......

We pack our bags....it gets screened at the airport...TSA looks inside....and then how in the hell can anyone have access to it after that...????

Makes you wonder about how secure the United States is against terrorists. If someone has access to it after it has been screened....then someone can put something into it as well.....now thats scary! Puerto Rico is under US protection...but has a long way in the lines of proctecting the US....

NR77

NightRaven77:
Ya know....

You would figure that with all the stuff with Sept 11th....our baggage would be more secure than ever......

Ok......

We pack our bags....it gets screened at the airport...TSA looks inside....and then how in the hell can anyone have access to it after that...????

Makes you wonder about how secure the United States is against terrorists. If someone has access to it after it has been screened....then someone can put something into it as well.....now thats scary! Puerto Rico is under US protection...but has a long way in the lines of proctecting the US....

NR77

Ya know, this would make a great piece on Dateline! You should contact them. I'd bet they'd love this kind of story. There really is a security concern to be questioned and the airlines should answer to this. This would bring some heat on the airlines. :D

Richard

Once upon a time, long, long ago. Air travel was actually fun.

San Juan Puerto Rico is one of the worst places I have ever flown in and out of. I probably did 50 flights over eight years in St Thomas in and out of there. They steal everything that is not nailed down. That is just the way it is.
My friends in San Juan live in a very nice house. they have rejas (metal gates) between their garage and the house, between the kitchen and the bedrooms. They are locked with padlocks every night, if there was a fire we would all burn to death. The thieves are so bad in San Juan that they jump from rooftop to rooftop in the city at night..and you can hear them.
Once at san Juan International I had a two pound baby I was transporting to a hospital. I waited for an hour in line, with an empty o2 tank, behind pilots claiming Jonny Walker scotch from duty free....San Juan is one big zoo, in my opinion. Nothing in a suitcase is safe in San Juan. Baggage locks would not even slow them down.

When I fly, I carry on all my important gear. Camera, regs,dive computer and mask. Everything else is in a old hard shell suitcase. I figure anything else I can deal with but these if it is stolen. Sorry for all your problems on your trip. But Bonaire is a great place to dive.

We have flown from connecticut twice on AA thru Miami to Curacao, never had any problems, camera and dive computer and regulator always go in carry on. Going again in January.

ralphy57:
We have flown from connecticut twice on AA thru Miami to Curacao, never had any problems, camera and dive computer and regulator always go in carry on. Going again in January.

Thanks for flying AA.:D

One thing that I have noticed the times we have flown AE SJU to BON is that because of all the divers with their equipment onboard, the plane has to have 8 to 10 empty seats even with standby passengers waiting. I think that the ATRs hitting their weight limits early from all the dive equipment contributes to passengers getting separated from their luggage on this leg. Bottom line is now that Continental is flying 737s to Bonaire out of Houston, I won't fly AE unless I'm desperate to burn up some AA miles.

blawler1:
One thing that I have noticed the times we have flown AE SJU to BON is that because of all the divers with their equipment onboard, the plane has to have 8 to 10 empty seats even with standby passengers waiting. I think that the ATRs hitting their weight limits early from all the dive equipment contributes to passengers getting separated from their luggage on this leg. Bottom line is now that Continental is flying 737s to Bonaire out of Houston, I won't fly AE unless I'm desperate to burn up some AA miles.

Just to let you all know that Bonaire officials are aware of the situation in PR, and are not happy about it either. What Blawler says about the luggage and people is correct. AE does one of 2 things. They fill the plane with people and leave the luggage or leave seats open to allow for the luggage weight.

Often if the luggage is left behind and the tourist gets to Bonaire (or other destinations, I understand the problem is just not Bonaire) theft occurs. No figure pointing here as investigations are underway, quietly.

Just wanted to let you all know that Bonaire is aware of the situation and trying to do everything they can to convince AE and SJU to take appropriate measures, etc.

Also, it was just signed, beginning Dec 16, 2006 Continental will fly Newark-Bonaire non-stop direct. It is not in their system yet, and we have no times, but the signing and start date have been announced here on Bonaire.

Thanks.

Liz

NightRaven77:
Ya know....

Ok......

NR77

Here is a thread I started about that very subject...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124920&highlight=Airport+security

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom