Bonaire - the questions not asked or thought about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 6 visits since 2004, we've never done a check out dive with staff. This includes 3 orientations under Bonaire Dive & Adventure and Andre

It does seem to be different between shops. Our first trip to Bonaire we used Buddy Dive. They had a set time for orientation, once a day, and it was a sit down somewhat formal session, very informative. The “checkout” dive was a request to check buoyancy and weights before going to the reef.

Next 8 trips or so it was just an informal “review” of rules and reminder to do a checkout dive at most. But somewhere around our 10th trip we decided to head to the new shop at Delphin’s to do our first dive for that trip. For the first time ever the guy manning the shop wanted to watch us dive. So we kitted up and all walked down to the water. Eric and I float around the little roped section for about 2 minutes then surfaced and asked did he want more. Nope, we were cleared to dive. It was all kind of humorous.

It does seem to be different between shops. Our first trip to Bonaire we used Buddy Dive. They had a set time for orientation, once a day, and it was a sit down somewhat formal session, very informative. The “checkout” dive was a request to check buoyancy and weights before going to the reef.

Next 8 trips or so it was just an informal “review” of rules and reminder to do a checkout dive at most. But somewhere around our 10th trip we decided to head to the new shop at Delphin’s to do our first dive for that trip. For the first time ever the guy manning the shop wanted to watch us dive. So we kitted up and all walked down to the water. Eric and I float around the little roped section for about 2 minutes then surfaced and asked did he want more. Nope, we were cleared to dive. It was all kind of humorous.
So, that was also Dive Friends?

My wife and I have been to Bonaire 3 times in the last 16 months, Dive Friends gave us a pass

From what I recall, Dive Friends seem satisfied that they saw us gearing up and were presumably going to do our first dive at their nearby site (in the case of their Hamlet location, The Cliff). As far as I can tell, they don't go out of their way to watch us actually get into the water. But who knows. Maybe if you go through the motions of gearing up in and look like you do a lot of diving, they don't give you a second look.

How did like Delphin's and their house reef?

So, that was also Dive Friends?

Yes, its was also DF’s but the resort had not been opened long so I guess he was new at it. Two weeks ago was lucky 13 and at Port Bonaire for the 3rd time. Basically it was welcome back and enjoy your dives!

How did like Delphin's and their house reef?

We didn’t stay at Delphin’s, just dove there. The reef? We were disappointed. Tried that dive and later a night dive. Haven’t been back.

Article 15 section 3 of Stinapa rules:

Prior to their first dive in the Marine Park, visiting divers must participate in an
introduction program, which includes an orientation dive, from the location of the
dive center where they obtain their dive tanks or from a location assigned by the
Manager

Article 15 section 3 of Stinapa rules:

Prior to their first dive in the Marine Park, visiting divers must participate in an
introduction program, which includes an orientation dive, from the location of the
dive center where they obtain their dive tanks or from a location assigned by the
Manager

That's what I had read, and I guess I assumed that meant a supervised dive. We planned to do a dive at the house reef the first dive anyway just in case we had a gear or weighting issue.

Capt Dons was always an orientation presentation in the morning to a group before diving and a suggestion to do a quick check out dive off their dock to check weights, buoyancy etc. No one came out with you to check on you or do the check out dive with you although I suspect they would if you asked.

Capt Dons was always an orientation presentation in the morning to a group before diving and a suggestion to do a quick check out dive off their dock to check weights, buoyancy etc. No one came out with you to check on you or do the check out dive with you although I suspect they would if you asked.

Sounds like that's the norm. I must have just been misinterpreting what the requirements said. I definitely don't feel like dealing with having a dm watch me dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom