Bonaire Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about diving sm. Plenty of 80’ to be had, fully redundant to satisfy solo, lots of air for long dives, I really like red slave to look for small stuff, at the sand and coral junction. Also the best place I’ve found for slugs is oil slick leap, right around the bowl when you get in.

++1 for Hamlet Oasis. The Cliff dive site is worth several dives, and especially a shallow one at night. Tons of tarpon using your light to hunt. Very easy access to the northern sites and, though you have to drive through town for the southern sites, it's really easy - not a problem.

I've always used Dive Friends (7 weeks so far) and found them wonderful. Be advised, if you don't have a solo card don't mention it and just don't dive solo where you do your registration and checkout dive. Recently Bon dive shops have been a bit more stringent (cover your butt) with paperwork when diving solo. Require a card and independent air source (pony).

If you're a solo traveler also any of the previously mentioned dive resorts on the water will likely have a significant single supplement charge even if you rent a studio. If so I might look fot a small condo or weekly apt. instead - many of them also cater to divers with facilities and all offer a dive pkg. thru someone. A few are also waterfront or possibly across the street.

There's also a relatively new Courtyard by Marriott near the airport but there's no house dive there.

If you're a solo traveler also any of the previously mentioned dive resorts on the water will likely have a significant single supplement charge even if you rent a studio. If so I might look fot a small condo or weekly apt. instead - many of them also cater to divers with facilities and all offer a dive pkg. thru someone. A few are also waterfront or possibly across the street.

There's also a relatively new Courtyard by Marriott near the airport but there's no house dive there.
Hamlet Oasis doesn’t have a single supplement, which is one of the many reasons I recommended it. I considered suggesting Courtyard Marriott, but it would be another 40-50% more and not on the water or walking distance to a Dive site. I’m a loyal Marriott business traveler, but in this case, the OP would be paying a premium over Hamlet Oasis. However, your point is well taken regarding many of the other resorts who do charge a premium.

How about diving sm. Plenty of 80’ to be had, fully redundant to satisfy solo, lots of air for long dives, I really like red slave to look for small stuff, at the sand and coral junction. Also the best place I’ve found for slugs is oil slick leap, right around the bowl when you get in.
Alternatively, depending on your dive set-up you could easily rig your second 80cft as a stage bottle and use this as an alternate air source rather than renting a pony.

I have slung a 63 in Bonaire as a redundant source a few times. For that purpose it is much more convenient than an 80. You could probably find a 53 some where as well.

That would be a lot easier than sidemounting if you are not already set up equipment wise for that.

Renting at Hamlet or some of the other apartment (for example Coco Palm Garden) has a benifit in addition to no single suppliment. You can cook some/all meals and save a lot of money.

Diver guy:

Is this what you were hoping to see?

Bonaire 2018 478.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom