Bonaire Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverguy33

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I want to make a last-minute trip to Bonaire. My highest priority is to shoot a blue lettuce slug. I also want to shore dive shallow for macro. I like long dives--don't care as much about boat dives. What hotels would you recommend for these requirements? Also, can I dive solo?

I don't have any insight on where best to find your slug. My suggestion is to ask at a dive shop when you arrive if they have seen some recently. I have had good luck finding things like seahorses that way. Where you stay doesn't matter unless perhaps you are looking for a place with a house reef to spend most of your time on. Most people don't do all their diving on the house reef (if any) of their hotel/resort but rather drive around and sample the many dive sites. Here are some threads on Bonaire and solo diving:

Solo diving on Bonaire

Can I rent tanks in Bonaire with SOLO SCUBA DIVER CERTIFICATION

"solo" diving in Bonaire

Solo diving at Buddy's

The northern sites, in my experience, are more likely to harbour lettuce leaf sea slugs. There are a number of dive lodges with excellent house reefs. If you want to stay right on the shore, my suggestions would be Buddy Dive, Divi and Habitat.

Saw quite a few in Cur a couple weeks ago (if we are talking about the same thing). Took a couple pics, one came out ok. See below. As far as places to stay, lots of choice. What are your preferences and budget. Almost anyplace would do for what you describe. Solo diving is permitted but I think I am reading lately that some places ask about a solo cert. Last trip was '16 and I dove solo everywhere anywhere with no questions asked.
MICR0088.JPG

Agree with Doctorfish. While I never stayed at Habitat, I have right next to them (Coral Paradise) and dove through Capt Don's many times. Nice property, great dive set up and house reef. Next to Buddys so you can dive both house reefs.

Saw quite a few in Cur a couple weeks ago (if we are talking about the same thing). Took a couple pics, one came out ok. See below. As far as places to stay, lots of choice. What are your preferences and budget. Almost anyplace would do for what you describe. Solo diving is permitted but I think I am reading lately that some places ask about a solo cert. Last trip was '16 and I dove solo everywhere anywhere with no questions asked.
View attachment 445425

That's it!

The northern sites, in my experience, are more likely to harbour lettuce leaf sea slugs. There are a number of dive lodges with excellent house reefs. If you want to stay right on the shore, my suggestions would be Buddy Dive, Divi and Habitat.

Thanks!

If you are traveling alone, you might want to consider Hamlet Oasis and one of their studios. It is a waterfront location, with the Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis dive shop on site, which also gives you access to the fill stations at their other 7 locations on the island. The Cliff dive site is your house reef and you all well situated to the northern dive sites and still close to downtown. You can arrange your dive truck through Hamlet Oasis, as well as your dive package with Dive Friends. Or you can arrange those things independently. Here is their website: Accomodation Bonaire Apartments: Holiday Rentals, Diving Bonaire Vacation Home

You will not generally have any issues diving solo on Bonaire. You definitely will not have any issues if you have a Self-Reliant Cert Card or a Solo Diver cert card. Even without one, if you are doing your diving at any of the marked dive sites that are not adjoining one of the dive ops, no one will say anything to you. If you want to rent a pony tank- let me know. I know of 2 places to rent them. One of which will likely ask to see a solo or self reliant card-- they other has never asked.

Trailboss123's suggestion is another good one. It is next to capt don's on the otherside (Buddy on the other). Together you easily can dive the house reefs at Buddys, Capt Ds and Cliff. You can easily dive all three on the same dive if you are covering ground. You could spend a week diving all three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom