Bonaire - security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner:
Will you find whale sharks or other large pelagics? No. But you WILL find turtles, reef sharks, mantas, 6' morays, very large mutton snappers, snooks, tarpon, and countless other species. Or, at the right time of the year, shallows full of mating squid all flashing neon communications at each other in colours you can't even name.

I'd love to see some mantas! Are there any sites more likely to have them than others?

DrSteve:
I'd love to see some mantas! Are there any sites more likely to have them than others?
Bonaire and Curacao are supposed to be good for Manta viewing due to the nutrients in the water. Especially in the fall when the coral spawns. I've never seen one. I have read that two likely places are 1000 Steps and Boca Slagbaii in Washington Park. You can see Eagle Rays though just about anywhere. I know we did up north somewhere, can't remember where. Around Rappel or Witches Hut I think.

Steve

Diver Kat:
Just got back on 5/15 - had no troubles what-so-ever with anything in our truck (towels, shirts, shoes) and stayed at Deep Blue View - a small B&B up on a hill, so luckily no real chance of anything happening to stuff in our room. They have huge gear lockers (approx 7' by 3') so we felt all our gear was safe as well.

It's really sick that the police used the notebook all week, makes you wonder if they were aware of where the rest of the items ended up .........

Hi - you stayed at DBV? how was it??? We are staying there for 9 days the end of June. was it awesome? Menno seems really nice...

Have been to Bonaire every year since 1990. Crime is everywhere peolpe are. Use common sense, stay at a place hotel that has a good rating, don't tempt fate by leaving things out that you wouldn't want taken
Bob

We just got back from 9 days in Bonaire and stayed at the Deep Blue View. We had no theft issues. Felt very safe there.

We were in Bonaire last May. Had no problems. Stayed at the Plaza and felt secure. We did follow the general rules with the truck-leave the doors unlocked and windows down while diving. Don't leave anything in the car or on the beach that would bum you out if stolen. We took our keys and money with us diving and just left t shirts and flip flops in the truck. We also asked for a truck with out a spare tire as we knew spare tires are a favorite thing for the bad guys to steal off tourist automobiles. We also never left anything on our second floor balcony (such a dive gear) that might interest a bad guy. Kept all our valuables in the safe, even when we were in the room. We had heard about people who stayed in condos with out security having invasions when they were sleeping, so I might stay in a busy hotel with security. But honestly we never felt the least bit worried or frightened and we loved Bonaire.

FYI...it seems that when we do have robberies they come in "spurts". The police on the island just completed a raid and came up with a lot of stuff. They actually arrest 3 men (ages 32,20 and 15). The 32 yo was an escapee from jail in Curacao and "snuck" onto Bonaire. In another incident, they also arrested 3 other individuals and confiscated stuff from a robbery that took place last week. One of the guys was arrested at the airport going back to Curacao. It seems since we have gotten the Dutch "federal police" in (7 of them I think) things are really working well. They zare talking zero tolerance, and are truly now attempting to enforce it. We are finding that the majority of the crimes are NOT committed by Bonaireans, but by other Antilleans, or those from S.A. that are illegals. (but that is a whole 'nother story they are working on).

Bonaire is probably the safest island in the Caribbean. That is why we chose to move here. I am tired of what I call "Bonaire Bashing". We are a great island with great opportunities and we have a lot to offer.

I had heard this as well, that most of the people who were responsible for the thefts were from other islands. I am going to Turks & Caicos this year and many people say don't walk the beaches at night. Again, a very safe island, but they have problems with folks from other places committing crimes. There is crime everywhere, so I guess just use common sense.

Amazon:
We just got back from 9 days in Bonaire and stayed at the Deep Blue View. We had no theft issues. Felt very safe there.

Amazon ... sorry I missed your earlier post, and glad you had a good time at DBV. Aren't Menno & Esther wonderful!! We loved it so much our first trip, we just booked 2 weeks there next year in May. We'd given up as AJ had cut their flights from Houston, but luckily Continental decided to run a non-stop starting in Dec 05.

As for security, staying at a gated home/B&B really makes you feel secure. (And it doesn't hurt they have 2 large dogs! :wink: ) As for the shore-diving, we had no problems - left the windows down, door unlocked as everyone advised. We saw some suspicious kids pull up at one site as some other divers entered the water. We decided to just hang around for a bit. They realized they were being watched, jumped in their car and took off. Never heard of any other problems our 10 days on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom