Bonaire ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you mean the father and son who were lost at Karpata, we were in Bonaire when the search was in progress. Human remains were found and recovered at around 300 feet months later. I don't it was ever published if the DNA matched or not.

That is the down side of diving freedom, so dive safely and within your own experience.

Bosun:
If you mean the father and son who were lost at Karpata, we were in Bonaire when the search was in progress. Human remains were found and recovered at around 300 feet months later. I don't it was ever published if the DNA matched or not.

That is the down side of diving freedom, so dive safely and within your own experience.

I'm pretty sure that it was two men who were business partners, and one of them had the two kids that reported them missing. Of course there was speculation of suicide, since it was odd that both divers disappeared without a trace. I don't recall reading that they did ever find the remains, but I don't exactly keep up with that sort of thing.

Regardless, the problem with inexperience is that you don't necessarily recognize when you're in a situation when more experience is required. If that weren't the case, none of us would have done half the crazy stuff that we somehow survived when we were younger.

Getting back on topic. The dives at either end of the island and the east side are often exposed to bigger wind/seas than those in the lee. Conditions can change quickly and divers with experience are able to use that experience to change the plan in mid dive if need be. There may not be places to get out should you get into a situation.

Using the services of a guide leaves you free to enjoy the dive even more while as a bus company used to tout - "leaving the driving to the us". A guide can also point out specifics that you might not see otherwise. All divers need to be aware of their environment so it isn't a license to not pay attention to where you are or conditions. A good guide will also know when not to go if conditions are unsafe.

The middle of the lee side is very forgiving and you should not need a guide unless you have specific fish/critters you wish to see.

Alas, I have not been diving in either Maine or California so can not provide perspective.

Have a great time.

The bodies of the father and son were indeed found. One at 300 feet at Karpata and the other at BOPEC months later. Identities were confirmed.

undercbon:
The bodies of the father and son were indeed found. One at 300 feet at Karpata and the other at BOPEC months later. Identities were confirmed.
Thanks. I searched the BonaireTalk archives and got a little more information than what I had remembered from the rumors flying around at the time.

We liked Donna and Georgio's - you can mix & match with pasta and other offerings there for a vegetarian with seafood option, especially if dairy is also in the list of OK things. I've seen 'rasta pasta' available at more than one restaraunt on Bonaire as well. Try a pizza or two there with Dutch cheeses and veggies - they will also add gorgonzola if asked, makes for a different experience!

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this - but I think you'll find you can order something to fit your tastes just about anywhere you go on Bonaire other than maybe KFC. Just no dedicated vegetarian only restaraunts.

Have a great trip!

akscuba:

Larry runs a very safe operation. The boat was custom built for east side seas. It would be a nice contrast to west side diving.

undercbon:
Alas, I have not been diving in either Maine or California so can not provide perspective.

Susan, you know you always have an open invitation to come dive with us :D

Brian, it is ashame we didn't have more time to get together and chat. Maybe coral spawning some year!

Aksuba - If you don't already have BSDME, I'd suggest buying it...www.bsdme.info

Back
Top Bottom