Bonaire ?s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading 12 pages of Bonaire posts, I think these questions haven't been asked yet :)

My BF and I are heading to Bonaire in late March, and I'm wondering about the following:

1) In my guide book, the restaurant I was most excited about was Mi Poron, because it said it served local cuisine. In all of the Bonaire posts about food, I didn't see this place mentioned--has anyone been there, is it any good? Also, anyone have any recommendations (other than It rains fishes and Richards) regarding restaurants for vegetarians (who also eat fish)? I'm especially looking for specific suggestions for places that serve local food.

2) Is Carel’s vision diveable by shore, or just by boat? How about Willemstoren Lighthouse? My Bonaire diving book is a bit vague on this issue.

3) When conditions aren’t great at the northernmost Slagbaai sites, like Boka Bartol and Playa Benge, are the more southern Slagbaai sites (Playa Funchi, Wayaka, and Boka Slagbaai North) still diveable? As in, are they (typically) acceptable as backup dives for those two northern sites, if we show up and conditions aren't great?

4) My dive book describes certain sites as "advanced", but I'd like a better idea of what that means. Is there anyone who has experience shore diving in either MA (esp Cape Ann) or CA (esp La Jolla shores or the LA area beaches) who can compare them to the intermediate or advanced sites on Bonaire?

All righty, that should do 'er, other than the snorkeling question I'll post about in just a minute! Thanks everyone.

R

Sorry Mi Poron closed quite a few years ago. We don't eat meat either and there is a good choice on the menus. Even Patagonia, a new Argentine Steak House, serves quite a few fish dishes.

I have looked at the latest Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (BSDME 5th edition) and Carel's vision is not mentioned and the following web site suggests that it is boat access only. http://www.bonairedivingpro.com/map.html - not sure how up to date this is.

We find BSDME very useful in planning our shore dives.

akscuba:
After reading 12 pages of Bonaire posts, I think these questions haven't been asked yet :)

My BF and I are heading to Bonaire in late March, and I'm wondering about the following:

1) In my guide book, the restaurant I was most excited about was Mi Poron, because it said it served local cuisine. In all of the Bonaire posts about food, I didn't see this place mentioned--has anyone been there, is it any good? Also, anyone have any recommendations (other than It rains fishes and Richards) regarding restaurants for vegetarians (who also eat fish)? I'm especially looking for specific suggestions for places that serve local food.

Lucille's Mi Poron is long gone but for local food you should try Antriole Catering or Mikey Snack out near Lac Bay. For a Columbian tilt El Fagon in Terra Cora is wonderful.

Most places on island routinely serve fish (if it is available) but I am at a loss for a completely vegetarian menu.

2) Is Carel’s vision diveable by shore, or just by boat? How about Willemstoren Lighthouse? My Bonaire diving book is a bit vague on this issue.

Carel's vision is a boat dive only. Willenstoren is a shore dive on low/no wind days.

3) When conditions aren’t great at the northernmost Slagbaai sites, like Boka Bartol and Playa Benge, are the more southern Slagbaai sites (Playa Funchi, Wayaka, and Boka Slagbaai North) still diveable? As in, are they (typically) acceptable as backup dives for those two northern sites, if we show up and conditions aren't great?

You are correct in your assumption. The Wayaka's, Playa Funchi and Boka Slagbaai are still accessible when the northernmost sites are rough. Bise Morto is still a bit of a challenge due to the coral rock that was pushed up in the access during Ivan.

4) My dive book describes certain sites as "advanced", but I'd like a better idea of what that means. Is there anyone who has experience shore diving in either MA (esp Cape Ann) or CA (esp La Jolla shores or the LA area beaches) who can compare them to the intermediate or advanced sites on Bonaire?

Could you list a few of the sites for contrasts sake?

undercbon:
akscuba:

Could you list a few of the sites for contrasts sake?

So, for instance, Boka Bartol, Playa Benge, La Dania's Leap, Red Slave, Willemstoren Lighthouse (and the other Wildside dives) are designated either "advanced" or "advanced and/or with guide"

To name a few, Karpata, Cliff, Front Porch, Alice in Wonderland, Margate Bay are designated as "intermediate"

How would these dives compare with the difficulty of shore diving in CA or MA?

Hi Susan, sorry we missed you and Lisa this time. We bumped into Cynde at Habitat's Nitrox station. Maybe next trip.

Brian & Sue

akscuba:
So, for instance, Boka Bartol, Playa Benge, La Dania's Leap, Red Slave, Willemstoren Lighthouse (and the other Wildside dives) are designated either "advanced" or "advanced and/or with guide" To name a few, Karpata, Cliff, Front Porch, Alice in Wonderland, Margate Bay are designated as "intermediate"

How would these dives compare with the difficulty of shore diving in CA or MA?

To my knowledge and limited experience, dives in Bonaire are classified as advanced due to two reasons: current and accessibility. La Dania's Leap, for instance, has to be done as a stride entry and a drift dive to the next available egress. That obviously requires some prior experience of the sites, or an impeccable sense of underwater distance measurement, to do it right (or do it from a boat, as I did). Other sites, particularly those in the National Park, involve currents sweeping around a point and I'd imagine it could be difficult to return to one's starting point if the currents were too strong.

California shore diving, on the other hand, is difficult when there is significant wave activity or when an extremely long surface swim is required, or when there's zero viz, or entangling kelp, or lots of surge due to the shallows, or just due to the frickin' cold water. It's a different animal altogether.

Mossman:
To my knowledge and limited experience, dives in Bonaire are classified as advanced due to two reasons: current and accessibility. La Dania's Leap, for instance, has to be done as a stride entry and a drift dive to the next available egress. That obviously requires some prior experience of the sites, or an impeccable sense of underwater distance measurement, to do it right (or do it from a boat, as I did). Other sites, particularly those in the National Park, involve currents sweeping around a point and I'd imagine it could be difficult to return to one's starting point if the currents were too strong.

California shore diving, on the other hand, is difficult when there is significant wave activity or when an extremely long surface swim is required, or when there's zero viz, or entangling kelp, or lots of surge due to the shallows, or just due to the frickin' cold water. It's a different animal altogether.

This is really helpful--thanks. In your opinion, for sites like Boka Bartol, Red Slave and Willemstoren Lighthouse, how advisable is a guide on a decently calm day? Advisable for divers of all experience levels? Not necessary when the conditions are good?

We did Vista Blue, the "Advanced" dive one up from Red Slave. In the afternoon. Really easy entry off a little sandy cove through the ironshore. Swam out to the ball and dropped. Noticed right away that the viz was really bad, probably 30-40' - that's bad for Bonaire. The current was ripping, the soft corals were laid over flat against the bottom. So we swam north against the current for 1/2 the dive and let it blow us back to our starting point. Which it did quickly -we surfaced about 100 yds. south of where we'd started. So we kicked back up current and got out. fwiw, that was my 50th dive.

My opinion, you don't need a guide. All the south sites are similar, they start shallow, drop down a little ways and then drop off to around 100'. Just start out against the current parallel to the beach and reverse course for the return. The reef runs parallel to the beach there(mostly) Or do what I do(not recommended if you have ear trouble) and pop-up occasionally on your return to spot your truck - it's the highest thing in that area - except for the lighthouse. One bad thing about getting blown around the point at Lighthouse is that it's a really long swim to South America from there. :D And it's likely that that far south you'll be the only people out there, we were - twice.

I've dove the Cove, the Shores and the backside of Boomer's. Bonaire's a lot easier, not the big swim and much less wave action with generally little current. Except to the south. Entries over the ironshore are a bit more difficult while keeping your footing. Kind of like walking over the tidepools when submerged but much sharper if you slip. I've got a permanent 6x1" "souvenir" from Angel City on my right shin. But I was an idiot and tried to dive there in surf walkers. Can't stress enough the idea of wearing treaded boots.

akscuba:
This is really helpful--thanks. In your opinion, for sites like Boka Bartol, Red Slave and Willemstoren Lighthouse, how advisable is a guide on a decently calm day? Advisable for divers of all experience levels? Not necessary when the conditions are good?

It's the experience that perhaps counts the most. While a guide would (hopefully) have experience with the particular site, an experienced shore diver should be able to judge for him or herself whether the current is too strong or the waves too rough to attempt the dive. But be very aware. Once you're swept out into the blue in an unswimmable current at a remote spot, there's no boat chasing you, no Coast Guard immediately notified. By the time someone notices that you're missing, you will be missing for good. My last trip (New Year's 2003/04) a couple of guys disappeared on a dive. One of them had brought his two kids, who reported them missing a few hours later, but the bodies were never recovered notwithstanding a concerted search effort by boats, planes, and helicopter. Plenty of people wouldn't have anyone to report them missing. Who knows how long it would take anyone to start searching?

When you get on the island, ask around the dive shops to see who has dove those sites recently and get their opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom