Bonaire questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teddyg04

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at a couple of short trips to Bonaire next summer, one with each of my grown kids. Would like some input on where to stay from those who've been there. I have the basic info: cost, accomodations, what's included, etc., but need more indepth comments. Where did you stay, what did you like/dislike, was there anything dive-related that was inconvenient? How was the house reef where you were? Bonaire has a reputation for theft; how was the hotel security? I don't need RitzCarlton level of service, but I do like comfort (I'm too old to camp!); was the service pretty good?

We'll be there to dive, but is there anything else we shouldn't miss (not nightlife)? And are there any tips: things that would make our trip easier or more enjoyable?

Thanks for any help!

May I suggest you grab a couple of Amstels and do a search on the board. There are hours and hours and hours of reading on all of the subjects you are interested in. Then if you have specific questions fire away, plenty of us on the board who know the island well.

Tips: I brought a collapsible, 5-gallon, camping water jug I bought for $4. Filled it with water and used to to rinse of between dives. It was awesome. Since all the trucks look alike, our friends brought a Barbie doll and taped it to their truck to make it stand out from the rest.

But like herman said, reading this forum over the course of a few Brights (wouldn't that be nice?), Amstels or Heinekens will surface a lot of information.

Actually, I read through the forum first. Lots of good info (btw, great idea about the collapsible water jug), but I'm looking for personal comments about the dive resorts. I have found that the best info comes from the people who have stayed at a place, and since I'm looking for dive-specific info, I decided to ask those with way more experience than I have. Everyone has differing opinions; I'm just looking for some behind-the scene, non-travel guide comments. Anyone?

We were at Buddy dive and wanted for nothing. Tank convenience, house reef, nice service, comfortable rooms, goof eats and all that you seem to seeking. As you noted, Bonaire is about diving and Buddy delivered for us. Also the crowd at buddy dive is perhaps more dive centric than at some other "fancier" places if you want to avoid distractions.

We took only the needed items for the dive excursions and had no issues. I intentionally brought old expendable items to wear to and from dives and ended up bring it all home.

If you want your own wash cloth bring it. There was only one "scrunchy" per room. We asked and that was the custom. given the "desert" environment they conserve on laundry water.

Pete

Agree with spectrum.. if you are about diving, and diving centric facilities.. its hard to beat Buddy Dive.. but Bonairetalk site has oodles of information from many, many travellers.

We stayed at BelMar condos (wow almost 5 yrs. ago) so this may not be current. But given the exceptional staff there, I doubt it's changed much. The condos were nice, very clean and very quiet. Mostly full kitchen (missing an oven as I recall) and not crowded at all. We stayed in one of the ground floor 2BR units it opened right out onto the pool and 50' past that was the dive dock. Neither bedroom had an ocean view, the master is at the back and the 2nd bedroom is in front of it. Great sunset views from the livingroom or patio as they face west. Belnem is pretty quiet at night.

It's a pretty compressed property, there's the main building and then an office/diveshop area immediately off the parking lot to the south. The tank pickup is 20' off the street there as well as gear storage/rinse area for anyone with an upstairs condo - the first floor units all have a lockable closet outside your back door.

The other Buddy Dive shop is on site - when we were there it was Toucan (at the Plaza) so we used Toucan.

The Plaza is a big resort with a long walk from some of the condos/rooms to the onsite restaurants. Also the diveop/boats are on the lagoon on the south end of the property and their shoredive (18 Palms) is near the north end. They deliver tanks there but it's not something I'd want to walk with gear. I have heard sometimes you can get a ride in the staff golfcart. They have a small fleet of newish diveboats and were never crowded.

But you probably get a better deal with Buddy's if you stay at BelMar. And if you're diving north, you can change tanks at the Buddy drive-thru.

Back to BelMar. The house reef is good enough that we did it twice. There's a rinse tank and tanks right on one of the two dive platforms and easy steps down into the water. No beach at all the entire resort sits about 15' above the water on ironshore. The waves breaking on the pier at night are audible from your condo. There's a light in the water for night dives - if you have one of those little strobes there's a ball you can tie it to a short distance out.

All the really good southern dive sites - Alice in Wonderland, Invisibles, the Hooker, etc. start about 3mins. south of BelMar on the same road. So if you're diving in the south, you pass BelMar on your way north to change tanks etc. For this reason, we just threw our gear loose in the truck and didn't need to lock anything up all week.

Downside of BelMar - and Belnem in general, is that there's almost no where to eat within walking distance. One small restaurant at another resort just down the street was all we found for breakfast. It was a 5 min. drive back around the lagoon (not really walkable) to the Plaza resort area or into town for just about every meal. Plaza has a restaurant and beach bar and there was a little snack shop just across from the entrance, they would do sandwiches to go if asked. If they still do the BBQ Friday nights at the Plaza, it was a good time.

I don't know if you're considering Port Bonaire condos also, but know they're in the flightpath. Belnem is far enough south that it's not an issue. Check out divervince's place - http://www.bellevuebeachbonaire.com/ - if you're looking for something a little more upscale in that area also. I think I'm staying there when I go back.

Last edited:
We stayed at Buddy in February for our first trip to Bonaire. We thought it was great like others are saying and there was little we could want for. However, I may be inclined to stay at BelMar next time. We're not big on eating out... we just went to the grocery store and loaded up on spaghetti and pasta sauce.... cheap, quick and easy. So having more dining choices close to Buddy's is one benefit it has over BelMar but BelMar is right in the midst of all the southern sights. We grew tired of driving through town from Buddy's to get to get to the southern sites but it wasn't a big deal. The biggest thing I didn't like about Buddy's is that they didn't have any lockable gear storage so I was constantly lugging 2 sets to and from the room. From what diversteve said above that sounds like a big plus for me at BelMar. However, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Buddy's again and the house reef is spectacular.

I also recommend Buddy.

I go into town the first day and buy lunch meat, bread, drinks, etc. and load up the refridgerator. Saves a lot of lunch/dinner/snack issues with a full kitchen. Then your schedule is much more free.

As far as lugging gear, I just used the truck that comes with the room to haul gear. But I'm a pretty experienced old fart. Already know how to avoid unnecessary lugging (did enough of that while wearing BDUs).

It'll be hard to mess up too badly on the island, but like one of the above, I usually planned first dive north/south, then returned to the resort for refreshments in the room and to swap out tanks, then headed the other way for the next dive. Feel free to repeat this cycle as much as you'd care.

It's a great place - been there as much as Cozumel. And considering the relative distances to each place, it says a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom