Bonaire - question on condos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning a trip for October to Bonaire. We are interested in renting a studio for 7 nights. It looks like our choices are down to Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar, or Den Laman. I have a few questions for which my searches didn't seem to turn up an answer...

It appears that Buddy's studios are all on the ground floor. Is this true, and is this also the trend with Sand Dollar and Den Laman? The reason for my question is because of increased burglary risk.

Also, does anyone know what the views are like from the Den Laman studios? Buddy and Sand Dollar from what I can tell all overlook the Caribbean or the pool, but DL's site doesn't say much about this.

Finally, on DL....what is the proximity to the oceanfront?

Sorry if any of these questions seem silly, but first time for either of us in Bonaire. We have already been to Aruba and Curacao and had a lovely time in both! We just want the best arrangements we can get on our budget for the shore diving mecca. :)

gangrel441:
My wife and I are planning a trip for October to Bonaire. We are interested in renting a studio for 7 nights. It looks like our choices are down to Buddy Dive, Sand Dollar, or Den Laman. I have a few questions for which my searches didn't seem to turn up an answer...

It appears that Buddy's studios are all on the ground floor. Is this true, and is this also the trend with Sand Dollar and Den Laman? The reason for my question is because of increased burglary risk.

Also, does anyone know what the views are like from the Den Laman studios? Buddy and Sand Dollar from what I can tell all overlook the Caribbean or the pool, but DL's site doesn't say much about this.

Finally, on DL....what is the proximity to the oceanfront?

Sorry if any of these questions seem silly, but first time for either of us in Bonaire. We have already been to Aruba and Curacao and had a lovely time in both! We just want the best arrangements we can get on our budget for the shore diving mecca. :)

Den Laman is literally on the water...you couldn't get much closer if you tried. Buddy's and Sand$ are on the water, but the property is set back a tad, and they are also larger resorts. The restaurant at Den Laman is great, and awesome views. If I had a choice, I'd stay at Den Laman or Buddy. Don't know about the proximity of the studios at Buddy (first floor/second floor). Also, Den Laman is brand new, and has AC throughout each unit, they are gorgeous. Email the Den Laman site and ask about the view from the studio. It really depends if you want a large resort (Buddy, Sand$), or a small property right on the water. All have a great dock and dive shop.

Other differences are that Den Laman has no pool, Sand$ pool is set by the roadside, not near the sea. Again, it's a matter of what you need/want.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I am interested in hearing more from others, but these comments are quite helpful and give us some of the answers we need in order to make our decision. :)

Thanks. What about the one bedrooms? On their per-night rates, they list one bedroom as Ocen Front/Ocean View, but on their packages, they only describe the two bedroom units that way.

gangrel441:
Thanks. What about the one bedrooms? On their per-night rates, they list one bedroom as Ocean Front/Ocean View, but on their packages, they only describe the two bedroom units that way.
I haven't been there yet, going in March and I will be in a studio.
However, I did see a floor plan at one time and I believe that some 1 bedrooms have a view out the sides rather than directly toward the ocean and maybe some out the front. Being as close to the shore as they are, that would be a pretty good view.
There is another site www.bonairetalk.com that has many trip reports and is full of people that will tell you exactly what kind of view each room has.

Buddy had 2 br condos on both the 1st and 2nd floor.

UndrWatrDan:
Do any of you Bonaire vets have comments about Golden Reef Inn? Looking to stay there in July - August timeframe.

GRI is not on the water but then again it's not far from it either. It is not quite as upsale as Buddy for example. It is clean, safe and Liz is as great a host as you can ask for. They use Wannadivebonaire as their dive op. WDB is one my favorite ops on Bonaire, you would be happy with them. As a lower cost alternative GRI is a good choice.

I stayed @ Belmar Condos exactly a year ago, & can't imagine staying anywhere else when I return to Bonarie. They are located south of town, right on the water. Even though several of the units are on the main level (which IMHO are the best ones), you would have little worry of burglary, as there is a guard (been there for years I guess - nice guy) that romes around the property every night, all night. The real beauty of this outfit is that they have a tank fill relationship with Buddy's north of town, so when you want to dive the north sites for the morning or afternoon, you just show the fill station guy a note that the Belmar management gives you for the week.

Check 'em out:

http://www.belmar-bonaire.com/

Anyone have experience how noisy the restaurant at Den Laman gets at night time? And what is behind the building where the studios are? Parking lot? Some major noise factors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom