Bonaire or Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba.gator

Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm thinking that I will plan a dive trip to either Bonaire or Belize early 2006, maybe April or May. I've heard good things about both places and am having a hard time deciding which place to go. Would really appreciate any input from those who have been as to the pros and cons of each.

What do you recommend??

Thanks,
Gator

i loved belize... but i have never been to bonaire....

Like Taylor...I love Bonaire but have never been to Belize.

Bonaire is set up for...solely...divers. There is little to do above the water. There are over 65 shore diving sites so the cost of a boat can be totally eliminated if one desires....yet there are boats there if that is what you want too.

Not sure what the cost diff would be but you could do Bonaire for under 3K probably pretty easily.

Given the option....I would go back to Bonaire before I would try Belize.

Take a look at www.goldenreefinn.com for a place to stay and add in your air fare and get a good idea there.

Welcome to the board Gator.
Like Rich, I have not been to Belize so I can't give you any help there. On the other hand, I have spent a lot of time on Bonaire. The diving is very easy,the people are great and there is plenty of good food on the island. The water and food are safe to eat. You are not likely to see many large fish or animals but mid to small fish are everywhere. It's a sleepy island with limited topside activities. If all you want to do is dive, eat and sleep it's the place. Rich's $3k is for 2, depending on where you live you can easly do a week on Bonaire for $1500pp unless you like fancy accomidations or like to run up a big bar tab.

herman:
Welcome to the board Gator.
Like Rich, I have not been to Belize so I can't give you any help there. On the other hand, I have spent a lot of time on Bonaire. The diving is very easy,the people are great and there is plenty of good food on the island. The water and food are safe to eat. You are not likely to see many large fish or animals but mid to small fish are everywhere. It's a sleepy island with limited topside activities. If all you want to do is dive, eat and sleep it's the place. Rich's $3k is for 2, depending on where you live you can easly do a week on Bonaire for $1500pp unless you like fancy accomidations or like to run up a big bar tab.
Any idea what the airfare is to get down there? I'm in Atlanta, which has daily flights to Jamaica. I searched but cannot come up with a current fare. What did you guys pay?

We've been to both + times. And liked both. But, we like Belize a whole lot better !. That said, Why ? A number of different reasons, mainly larger and more fish in Belize. We've done both shore and live aboard there. I especially liked Blackbird. The cabins were nice, food good and diving was fun. Saltwater crocs too.

Another thing about Belize that we've come to like is - after a weeks diving we take a few more days on the mainland, stay at a B&B, rent a 4X4 and go exploring Mayan ruins. For us it's a great double vacation. Driving in Belize is a lot of fun and easy. Also a visit to the Belize Zoo is more than worth the time. More like being in the jungle than in a zoo. Nice to have our own vehicle instead of the tour busses and being under time constraints.

Not much other than diving going on on Bonaire. This spring we're going back to either Belize or Honduras for a weeks dive and then a week of archeology excursion.

One last Belize observation - Best Chinese food we've had in all our travels. It was surprising !

NAIBDiver1

and then there IS Barbados.....good below...great above....yell ifyou want details

The AJ flights run in the $400 to $700 range depending on who knows what. I just looked at Atl to Bon in March and the price was $640. If I remember correctly AJ only flies to Bon on Sat. A travel agent may be able to do better. Call Air Jamacia or use the web site. Another option is AA. Fly them into PR then on to Bonaire. You might also try looking at flights into Aruba or Curacao on AA,Delta or United and then grab Divi or Bonaire Excel into Bonaire (around $100RT).

Been to both, love both. I will echo NAIBdiver1. For overall adventure Belize would rate best. Great water side attractions and great land side attractions.

We loved Placencia, a bit 3rd worldish but changing rapidly. Nicest place there Inn at Roberts Grove. Good web site for Placencia www.destinationsbelize.com/

Also stayed at Turneffe Island in Belize, a bit pricey but awesome and great easy diving.

Have fun you can't lose either way.

What parts of Belize are people refering to ? Belize is not like Bonaire. You have Lighthouse, Turneffe, Ambergris, etc..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom