Bonaire or Belize Lighthouse Reef area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot less frequented by divers and there's not a lot of atolls on this side of the world

The reason I haven't been to Bonaire yet? Shore diving just turns me off for some reason
You do not have to shore dive in Bonaire. You can boat and dock dive.

I you read up on Belize reviews the dive sites at Lighthouse Reef get the best reviews. Half Moon Caye and Long Caye are where the LOBs spend the majority of their time.

The reason I haven't been to Bonaire yet? Shore diving just turns me off for some reason
Reading here can lead you to believe Bonaire is only shore diving but not so. We pretty much only boat and dock dive when we used to go there. No interest in hauling gear and tanks all over, not vacation to us.

Take me there with you and I'll show you it isn't all shore diving 😉

Personally if you don't like shorediving i would skip bonaire. It's indeed very possible to do boat dives but apart from the east coast i think the whole charm is to go exploring across its many easily accessible dive sites, some marked and some not so much.

This is very personal though, beautiful place to dive in any case.

I was just in Bonaire last month an Belize in 2021. We were at resort on Tourneff Atoll. The diving was great in both areas. We had three boat dive per day for both location.

The diving in Belize was much more varied. Being on an outer barrier reef was great. Sharks, big rays, more varied reefs, the only down side was there was no shore diving and they charged $80 for a single night boat dive. They also had a one day excursion to Blue Hole, which I passed on but understand was well worth the extra $120.

Bonaire was great, but the dive sites were all wall dives and were a little more repetitive. There was unlimited shore diving which meant I made 4 night dive during the week.

If you prefer boat diving but have seasickness issues, the boat rides on Bonaire are pretty calm so it has that going for it. (My husband used to like it for that reason, way back when the scop patch was off the market.) Since that's no longer an issue we haven't bothered because it's a pain to get to, the sites look mostly similar (I'm a topography lover) and because we were generally unimpressed with the food there - so there's better places for us.

Sun Dancer 2 (Belize) May 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ving-belize-via-sun-dancer-2-may-2nd-9th.html (It's now the Belize Aggressor IV).

Dive Trip to the Blue Hole & Visit to Half Moon Caye - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/506647-some-blue-hole-impressions.html

My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

8 Day Trip Report: Sand Dollar, Dive Friends

2022 Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report - V.I.P. Divers/Aqua Viva Suites

In a nutshell, my points will reiterate some things others noted.

1.) Shore diving offers great freedom to do your own dive (i.e.: as opposed to being led on a tour by a guide), when/where/how you wish...but it's a lot more work. A Caribbean liveaboard diving off the main yacht is about as 'fall in the water' easy as scuba diving gets.

2.) In Bonaire, unless you do an A.I. plan at the Plaza or Divi Flamingo, you'll eat out at various places, maybe buy groceries and eat in some. On a liveaboard, you'll eat on the boat, and eat well. Again, easier.

3.) I agree that the mainstream west coast dive sites of Bonaire tend to largely fall into the sloping reef wall type, and can seem somewhat repetitive (note: east coast diving is a different experience). Belize's outer atolls region is much more varied.

4.) In Bonaire the only mid-sized/large grouper I've seen were mostly tiger grouper. In 10 trips I've seen one black grouper. Don't recall yellow-fin or Nassau grouper. They do have cubera snapper that get pretty big, but are skittish of me. Bonaire does have tarpon, barracuda, green and hawksbill (I'm told loggerhead, too) sea turtles, and big green morays, so some big stuff but not really known for it. 10 Trips and haven't seen any kind of shark; some southern and eagle rays (1 manta or mobula).

5.) A week in Bonaire, you will experience something of the topside culture and get out and see the sights on the island. A week with a liveaboard in Belize, you might spend a half-day tour on Half-moon Cay, and otherwise you'll experience a big yacht and socialize more heavily with fellow divers and some crew.

6.) I love Bonaire, but it's not where I'd go to boat dive. I could probably get more consistently high quality reefs and more mid-sized/larger marine life if I headed to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac. A number of Buddy Dive Resort boats when I was there years ago were just 1 tank boat trips. I don't like to bother reporting to and getting on the boat for just one dive, then doing it again if I want another.

7.) My favorite Bonaire reefs are the far southern reefs - Sweet Dreams, Vista Blue, Marigot Bay and Red Beryl, due to lush gorgonian growth on the shallower part of the reef wall creating a striking impression. Yes, kite boarders get out aways from Atlantis, so be aware.

If you are strongly intrigued by Bonaire, it'd give you two the option to dive at your own pace, without having to keep up with a guide. That could be very nice.

Note: I discussed Belize as a liveaboard destination. If you want to stay at Turneffe Island Resort, for example, your experience will be different. You'll need to read some reviews from the resorts you're interested in. Of course, I'd ask why stay at a land-based resort instead of a liveaboard, but different strokes for different folks...some people have their reasons. If you've not going to 'dive-dive-dive' on a fairly small island that far out, consider what else you're going to do.

There is a group ono Facebook called "Bonaire for Diver" with a lot more information and pictures of recent trips. It may good to check them out.

Ok, booked Jun 28, 2023, at Captain's Don Habitat - Garden Ocean View room for three.
Anyone there about that time?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom