Bonaire or Belize Lighthouse Reef area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These areas are off limit to boat traffic ?

These areas are off limit to boat traffic ?
Boat traffic inside the moorings is extremely limited, except around the marina and pier, so when surface swimming or moving underwater toward shore, it really isn't an issue. Certainly if surfacing about the moorings, you have the potential to encounter boats and you might want to send up an SMB, but that is the same situation no matter where you're diving.

Down south there can be kite boarders and sail boarders that don't always stay out in bluewater. Down there take a look before diving the site and hug the bottom till you get real shallow.

Boat traffic inside the moorings is extremely limited, except around the marina and pier, so when surface swimming or moving underwater toward shore, it really isn't an issue. Certainly if surfacing about the moorings, you have the potential to encounter boats and you might want to send up an SMB, but that is the same situation no matter where you're diving.
Down south there can be kite boarders and sail boarders that don't always stay out in bluewater. Down there take a look before diving the site and hug the bottom till you get real shallow.
great info, just follow common sense !

These shore dive areas are off limit to boat traffic ?
Yep. The only boat traffic allowed around a dive site mooring is the dive boat that is moored there. Everything else is in the blue water.

But as indicated above the windsurfers follow the rules just like bicycle riders do.

- Yellow or orange buoys are free of charge, first come first serve, max boat length of 15m and have a 2 hour limit.
– Always navigate on the seaside of the mooring buoys in the dark blue waters.
– Pass at least 50m from a boat tied to a buoy

Anyone knows where I may find the Susan Porter book; Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy 7th edition? Blue Planet and Amazon are out of stock.

Is the Bonaire: Reef Smart Guide a better option?

Anyone knows where I may find the Susan Porter book; Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy 7th edition? Blue Planet and Amazon are out of stock.

Is the Bonaire: Reef Smart Guide a better option?
I found the Reef Smart Guide to be quite helpful, especially for directions to dive sites and for potential concerns at a site. The dive descriptions can be a little more involved than needed, but overall, a good resource.

Best bet is to get it once on island if online is sold out. Likely Dive Friends has it and one of their places is right across from the airport. If you can't find it I'd look for either Reef Smart Guides Bonaire (next best) or Dive Guide Bonaire (also good). I'd skip New Guide to the Bonaire Marine Park.

A lot less frequented by divers and there's not a lot of atolls on this side of the world

The reason I haven't been to Bonaire yet? Shore diving just turns me off for some reason

Back
Top Bottom