Bonaire on the Cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions about where to stay on Bonaire cheaply (also looking for cheap flight suggestions). We're looking to stay the week of 3/23/07-3/31/07 (7 or 8 nights). At least two of us will be going, with the possibility of up to six people. Looking to get a stay, drive, and dive type package, *with* Nitrox. As sites with private docks (those directly on the water) seem to be much more expensive, I realize this means staying more inland. That's fine assuming we can save significantly. Thanks!

Give Liz a yell at Golden Reef Inn. Similiar deal to what Ianr33 mentioned above, all inclusive (1brdm apt., truck, unlimited air) but she came in at around $65. a night. She also can set up some low(er) cost flight arrangements. Liz booked us flights that were $50-75. cheaper than what I was finding anywhere else. Note: We haven't been to Bonaire yet but booked w/ Liz after reading other SB posts, all of which seemed very positive. www.goldenreefinn.com

Sounds like very reasonable rates above, the air-fare is what will get ya. Not many deals going there Good Luck Tho.

P.S. If you find a deal please post it, I may see you there!!!!!

Rainer,

I agree with the previous posters. Give Liz a call at the Golden Reef Inn. We stayed there in February. Continental Airlines is starting a flight out of Newark. Had that option been available to us we would have saved approximately $500 per person in airfare. I looked up the airfare because we were looking to return to Bonaire. Alas, I was over ruled by a few people for this year.

GRI is a good place to stay. It is not a resort, but offers good accommodations and great service. Heck, you won't spend much time there anyway because you will be enjoying the diving.

I second Liz and GRI. Liz is a super hostess and GRI is a nice place, nothing fancy but clean, comfortable and convient. Wannadiveboniare is the dive shop GRI uses and you will not find a better shop anywhere. Bart and company do every and anything they can to help out their divers. GRI is off the water a couple of blocks but nothing on Bonaire is far from the water. Even when I do stay at a place on the water, most of our dives are not at the resort.

I just got an e-mail back from Liz (had already e-mailed her, but thank you all for the suggestions!). I'd say this looks like my best bet so far, but I'm still looking for deals, so please keep the suggestions coming. Those of you who posted, was your rate for a studio or a one bedroom apartment? The prices she quoted me are closer to $70pp/pn for a studio and $75pp/pn for a one bedroom. Would love to get closer to $65pp/pn...

Just to add to the above, the prices mentioned:

"Includes accommodations 8 nights/9 days, room taxes, unlimited shore diving including weights, weight belts, tanks, air, orientation and "checkout dive" and taxes and a double cab pick up suitable for diving with air conditioning, taxes and CDW insurance included"

Those that got $65pp/pn, was that for all of the above? Thanks!

Rainer,
You might want to try Wannadive Hut. They can also set you up with a full package and I personally prefer to dive through them.

http://www.wannadivehutbonaire.com/

Jet

The yachtclub apartments are clean, reasonable and well located. The studios are about $65 per night, the 1 bedrooms are about $72, two bedrooms about $110 and all have fully loaded kitchens. The location is outstanding as they are across the street from Harbor village, and very close to Sand Dollar, Eden Rock, Buddies and Capt Don's. They will also work at deal on a pickup for a little over $200 per week.

You can combine this with Bonaire Dive and Adventure's 6 day unlimited nitrox tanks and weights for only $120, and they are less than a quarter mile from Yachtclub and by diving with them, you get use of their dock on Bari reef, one of the best house reefs on the island and according to REEF.org, the dive site with the most species spotted in the Caribbean.

If you can get by with 2 pickups, you can probably get the overall price around the $65 to $70 pp pn price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom