Bonaire Night Dive: carry lights or rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 8C can stay home. My 8 cell PT ELED was way too much. My 4C Tec 4000 was plenty. On top of that I think it had better color quality.

If you decide to bring the big light consider putting it in a big bag where you have room while the batteries are in your carry-on which often goes unweighed.

Pete

I thought international flights were still allowed 2 checked bags, I bring an underwater housing set up ( 42 pounds ), camera gear, dive gear, and I have no problem having both checked bags under 50 pounds.
Leave the huge lights at home, 2 Ikelite Pca's is all you need. I had somebody at the salt pier shine a stupid cave light in my face, again leave those kind of lights at home.
Please take the dead batteries home with you.

Continental just changed their policy and are now charging $25 for a 2nd checked bag (if you purchased your ticket after May 8) for international economy flights. The other major carries likely aren't too far behind.

Continental just changed their policy and are now charging $25 for a 2nd checked bag (if you purchased your ticket after May 8) for international economy flights. The other major carries likely aren't too far behind.

I got my ticket just in time ( by 3 days ).

I brought, used and enjoyed my Light Cannon in Bonaire. So did Charlie the Tarpon at Bari Reef.
He uses your light beam to help him catch fish, but don't shine it directly on him or he will take off.
You can certainly just use a smaller light and yes it will work, but the big light did come in handy when a turtle came by and I wanted to take a movie.

I take mine but then again they are all either 4 c or 4 AA. You just don't need the huge lights on Bonaire. I often do a night dive or 2 with no lights (handy but off).
Chem lights- glow sticks are prohibited on Bonaire so don't bring them. Some use the tank marker lights but I really don't see the need, I know who I am diving with.

Could you please point out where in the Marine Park Rules or the Marine Environment Ordinance (pdf) where the use of chemical light sticks is banned on Bonaire? I see this occasionally on message boards and online comments on product-related pages, but have never read anything official on the subject. I find it surprising that something so banned is not mentioned in the above rules.

BTW I'm not advocating chemical light sticks; however if returned home for disposal, I see them less damaging than, for example, the water bottles that are discarded by the dozen every day by many divers, or the numerous diposable batteries used by regular lights.

BYOL. It's the more cost-effective choice. If you decide to play the "Feed the Tarpon" game, you may want to pack along at least a 4C light. :) For my past 2 trips to Bonaire, I brought my 8C Shockwave LED and didn't think it was too much light. It has pretty low battery usage. Using it on a low setting, it will last for 10 - 15 hourlong night dives. This is more than enough for a one-week trip to Bonaire...and you really don't have to pack any extra batteries. A couple people in our dive group brought rechargeable batteries and those seemed to work out fine. Have fun and be safe.

We use only LED lights now main with 4AA and back up with 4 AAA cells. Fropgman Lenser gives out a great beam. Use rechargeable batteries as well which helps.

Back
Top Bottom