Bonaire In November - Wet or Just Damp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My group used to go almost annually the last weekend in November (US Thanksgiving) but in recent years they said enough is enough of the rain and/or clouds and have switched to October. I didn't get to join them this past year but hope to this year.

Just add its the "rainy" season for a reason. Having said that first time in Bonaire went in November and had great weather. ten years later went to Curacao in November and it rained much more frequently. now would not go in November if I had the choice. my 2 cents

Here's some Bonaire rainfall data to ponder...

bonaire_rainfall.jpg

From Weather and Climate: Bonaire, Bonaire, average monthly , Rainfall (inches), Sunshine, Temperatures (celsius), Humidity, Water Temperature, Wind Speed

That's a great website. Thanks a lot. We're going in March -- a month later than last year just to have a little more sunshine and warmer water temps. Glad to see the stats justify our decision.

We were there Nov. 9-16 (er, 17... add the extra day for flight delay), 2013. We experienced short rain showers many days. It was overcast or cloudy quite often too, but always very warm. Wouldn't have liked it for a beach vacation, but it was fine for diving. The bugs were quite bad, which often comes with rainy season. Used a lot of bug spray. We also found that some days the diving in the south was quite choppy for entries/exits, and the viz not so great.
We experienced that t-storm mentioned above on our last day. It was intense. The rains came down in buckets and flooded some of the condos in our complex. It was windy too. We had wanted to go to the park, but most of it was closed. The power went out for awhile. We were glad it was the last day, as it was pretty much a write off. Even when the torrential rain stopped, it rained off and on and the water looked churned up.
Thing is, hubby went in Nov. back in 2005. They had pretty much the same weather - often overcast/cloudy, some rain here and there... and also a big storm one day/night. They couldn't get to the park either.
So, although that is two great trips in Nov. despite rain, I think we will be looking for a different time of year next time. We're thinking of the spring - April/May?... or possibly later... Jan?

When is usually (I realize no guarantees ever, but there are seasons and patterns) the best time as far as the least rain... and wind... and calmest seas?

We go in June-Aug. Never a weather problem, though we just missed a couple of hurricanes and a volcano eruption.

It it is hot during those months, but doesn't feel anything close to the heat at home - at least we don't leave slug-trails walking around on bonaire.

and we often get glassy seas.

Is gbf being humorous or is there a volcano on Bonaire? It's the first mention of it that I have seen?

This May will be our 11th trip back to Bonaire. Of the previous ten trips, nine were in May one was in November. The November trip had more rain and the vis was cut in half from the normal 60 to 100ft down to 30 to 50ft. don't get me wrong...... 30ft of vis is awesome when you consider normal vis here in Puget Sound, but we go to Bonaire to get out of the rain and have some decent tropical viz. We won't be going in November again..

The other thing we like about May is that it seems that the trade winds are a bit lighter making the eastside swell just a bit more pleasant. In the old days it was Larry's Wild Side and now it's East coast Divers. For anyone headed to Bonaire.... at least one day of 2 tanks on the east side is a MUST. Bigger and better everything.

Diving Bonaire on the wildside, Dive bonaire eastcoast and see the big 5.

---------- Post added February 15th, 2014 at 05:05 PM ----------

Is gbf being humorous or is there a volcano on Bonaire? It's the first mention of it that I have seen?

Weather in Venezuela can most definitely affect the weather on Bonaire..

I wish I was humorous, but my children say "daddy is not funny".

The volcano on Montserratt erupted in the 90's, spewed ash all across the caribbean. There was some disruption of flights thru the area.

To my knowledge, there is no volcano on Bonaire. And hurricanes generally miss Bonaire, but a near-miss hurricane can still cause disruption.

DiverDebbie,
Answer to your question from my point of view would be summer-spring May-Sept. Have been there twice in summer (july), once in May and weather was great. March you can run into surge issues and mentioned November can be WET. Never had dive issues either in May or July.

Back
Top Bottom