Bonaire fan thinking of checking out Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jellyroll02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all - since our family didn't want to deal with 4:30AM flights in/out of Bonaire we're thinking of Cozumel in March. We're intermediate divers and 8-year-old daughter trained on Sassy so would love to find Bubblemakers or similar program for her.

1 - Resort recommendations? Thinking about Presidente Intercontintental only b/c on-site dive op offers kid program but don't need all the amenities they offer. Something between PI and bare-bones dive hotel?

2 - Scuba Du has children's program - anyone know of another dive op with kids activities?

2- I've seen shore diving mentioned but not sure how entries/exits work - we're used to driving truck up to shore, getting geared up and walking or jumping in...

TIA and happy holidays!

Cozumel is very different from Bonaire in almost every way. Start with the coral structure. In Bonaire you swim into a very mild current, turn around, and return to the starting point. You pass along a sloping wall on almost every dive. In Cozumel you weave through intricate formations in a strong current, sometimes even a raging current, until you ascend and wait for your boat to arrive. Cozumel is also famous for its swim throughs, coral tunnels of varying lengths and depths.

Although it is possible to shore dive in some locations in Cozumel, those are not the best locations by far, and pretty much all real diving is done by boat. Because of the need to keep groups together in drift diving, all such dives are by law led by a divemaster. It is a good idea to use ScubaBoard to learn the names and characteristics of different sites. Frequently you do not decide where to go until the DM asks you what you want to do after you are on the boat. If you know what to ask for, you can often get your way if the rest of the boat is not as knowledgeable.

I don't want to start a war on this one, but in Bonaire you are warned frequently about crime and the need to be sure not to leave valuables unattended in your vehicle. Despite what is happening in much of Mexico today, Cozumel is an extremely safe location, with little such crime.

Hi all - since our family didn't want to deal with 4:30AM flights in/out of Bonaire we're thinking of Cozumel in March. We're intermediate divers and 8-year-old daughter trained on Sassy so would love to find Bubblemakers or similar program for her.

1 - Resort recommendations? Thinking about Presidente Intercontintental only b/c on-site dive op offers kid program but don't need all the amenities they offer. Something between PI and bare-bones dive hotel?

2 - Scuba Du has children's program - anyone know of another dive op with kids activities?

2- I've seen shore diving mentioned but not sure how entries/exits work - we're used to driving truck up to shore, getting geared up and walking or jumping in...

TIA and happy holidays!

Why change a good thing that you have going? :idk:

I've been to Bonaire 4 times this past year, crime isn't as bad as everyone says. It's mostly the locals arriving from other countries that have their house burglarized and the such. This should also become less frequent as Bonaire is no longer part of the Netherland Antilles.
See this link: Exploring: New political status Netherlands Antilles... Bonaire, Venezuela forum

I know for fact there will be more police there and have never heard of car crime as long as certain minor precautions are taken, which is easy. I can't speak for Cozumel, only Play de Carmen, which was the worst diving experience I ever had. I will have my chance at Cozumel next June. I will better be able to evaluate it then. I'm a dedicated Bonaire fan, doing my DM cert there in February.

I'm lucky to have made many friends in Bonaire. This core group of friends has been the most inviting experience to the island. I'm always glad to step off that plane no matter what time of day. BTW Delta has 2pm flights if thats any help.

TIA and happy holidays!

Welcome to the board. You don't have to do the overnight to Boniare. You can take Delta or Insel out of Miami. Another option it to fly into either Aruba or Curacao and then catch a commuter over. If you don't mind small planes, the small planes give you a really good view of the islands. Curacao is also another option, similar diving to Bonaire but easier to get to.

I've been to Coz a couple times and Bonaire many more.

Coz has better vizibility by far and coral structures that are awesome. However, you need to boat dive and been on a set schedule to do so...not to mention dive as part of a group.

As stated it is a totally different creature....one that needs to be checked out though.

I like the diving freedom in Bonaire and that is one of the main reasons I go.

Each to their own though...check it out..the diving is awesome.

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I am going to try Coz in 2 weeks! I too am a Bonaire fan we go there in the fall and elsewhere in the Winter/spring.

TIA and happy holidays!

You may want to checkout Hotel Cozumel they are hosting the Scubaboard invasion in June and also have a kids club,shore diving and a real beach.

Jellyroll,

We have been coming to Cozumel for 7 years now and think of this as our second home. My wife and I are in our 30's and actually learned to dive here and love diving because of our experiences in Cozumel. We have never been to Bonaire, but have done Curacao which is said to be similar.

My two cents for what you are needing. Find a good resort that can get you everything you need. I would find a very personal scuba company to help your family. If you will pm me, I'll send you the info. We have a lady we dive with who we think of as family. she is very safe, patient, and has helped me become a better diver and truly love the ocean.

As for resorts, my wife and I have stayed at 5 resorts on the island and have found the middle of the road to be very good for what we need and want to pay. Fiesta Americana is where we are staying right now and this is our 2nd trip here in 6 months. We love it. rooms are fine, resort has great food, and they are now all inclusive, which fits us fine. We don't need to go into town and do all of that stuff, so the AI option is great for us. Would be happy to give you more info on this place as well and cost cutting methods.

Cozumel is safe, wonderful people, and fits our relaxed pace lifestyle. Let me know if I can help!

Merry Xmas,

Jeff

If you scroll down the ScubaBoard main site, you will find a section for regional travel. You will find an entire forum devoted to Cozumel. You will get a much bigger response to your question there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom