Bonaire Exit/reentry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could make the cane 6 feet/2 meters long and it would serve as a social distancing enforcer for medical purposes.

You could make the cane 6 feet/2 meters long and it would serve as a social distancing enforcer for medical purposes.
Hey, it only has to be 1.5m in Bonaire!

So sticking the cane into a sand bottom say in about 6ft. of water would not be acceptable? But carrying it with you on the the dive would be okay? I have thought of making a cane then sticking it in the sand as return marker, especially at night with a light mounted on it when diving away from the resorts' dive sites. There have been a couple of times I stacked some rocks next to a convenient break in the iron shore to enter and exit. And I have seen that other people have done this as well.

Not uncommon in certain parts of the world (with mountains) is a stash of 'walking sticks' at the parking lot for use by whomever may need them.

General expectation is that if you take one you bring it back at the end of the day and leave it for others.

It's not a terrible solution.

(My previous trip to Bonaire I was very jealous of the sidemount divers using their two tanks as support (unclipped) while entering)

I have suggested to local colleagues that I may start a business selling 2m long sticks for COVID purposes. The trick being that they have at least one pointy end. One tool, many uses.

If the entries become overly hazardous due to my aging carcass, I will start restricting my diving to the truly easy entries. When that becomes a problem, I'll shift to boat dives, or quit diving, if necessary.

I'd prefer the island doesn't "improve" the entries. I think it would be a detriment overall. And I can't see Stinapa signing off on it.

Mmm. “Quit Diving “. I don’t like the sound of That option :)

Mmm. “Quit Diving “. I don’t like the sound of That option :)

Neither do I....

Back
Top Bottom