Bonaire Exit/reentry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a few others use versions of canes other than myself though not a lot. I have seen lots of folks fall as I have myself. That can cause damage both personally and to the environment.

This started with a discussion of making man made improvements at entry/exit points at unimproved sites to make them more user friendly. I think (carefully) modifying our own actions would have less negative impact than modifying the environment and achieve this goal. This is one way I've found to do so. Other methods have been mentioned as well. All IMHO, YMMV.:)

I don't know what y'all're all about anyway: it's not like this (zoom in on the splash just right of centre)

PICT0476.JPG

I know people resist change, divers some of the worst in this regard. When I was diving Bonaire I always felt a focal point of damage to the shoreline would be preferable to the everyone stumbling at multiple points for entry, for my point of view less damage is preferable but don’t really care since with the crazy airfares I’m unlikely to return.

Stinapa probably figures a soft body bouncing off the rocks and coral in the surf does less damage to said rocks and coral than would occur if someone installed permanent "improved" entries.

And those bouncing soft bodies are a self-correcting, short term problem. Usually, once they've been removed from that location, they tend to not come back; at least not until the bruising and abrasions have healed. :wink:

The collapsible cane strikes me as a very good option for those who are starting to feel less confident in their balance. I will probably be constructing one for my GF before too much longer as she already has some balance issues. On the trickier entry/exits, I carry her gear in and out for her already. She would be pretty solid with a third leg.

I'm of the mind that less improvements, the better. Entry in the water is not that hard here and when it is, you have plenty of other sites to choose from where the wave action will be less.

Against STINAPA rules.

Nope. I checked with them last I was there. Best to ask the source, rather than rely on people guessing, and blowing smoke about what they are sure (think) is right.

I have a jointed cane made from pvc that breaks into 4 foot long pieces joined by bungie. I steady myself till I get waste deep, break it down and clip it onto my harness. No chance of it dangling and hitting anything. Unclip it, pop it together, and steady myself on the way out. There would be a he!! of a lot more damage if I fell over and my tank smashed into something than I could do in 1000 dives with a cane.

Entry in the water is not that hard here and when it is, you have plenty of other sites to choose from where the wave action will be less.

For my wife & I it's not so much about wave action as it is about getting up and down the "ironshore ledge" while stepping in holes and shifting rubble while top heavy. Being able to get just a bit of balance on a "third leg" :) makes all the difference. Also not having to be concerned about it makes the dive much more enjoyable. All IMHO, YMMV.

upload_2020-5-25_11-46-54.png

Duh. @Kharon Please don't selectively quote my posts to reinforce your point of view. If you check, you'll find I DID contact STINAPA and provided their written response. The "rules" have changed, and so has the enforcement.

The reason for STINAPA's positon on canes has been NOT because of their use to help you get in and out fo the water, but because some rude and/or uninformed divers used them as poke sticks...which are also banned. No "muck sticks" are allowed. Now the bad divers just use their GoPros on selfie sticks to poke through the soft coral.... An idiot will always find a way to be an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom