Bonaire Exit/reentry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I was discussing the new pier/exit/reentry at a dive site the other day and it got me to thinking...

you would think by now that the growing popularity of Bonaire mixed with the general age group of the average diver etc. Etc. Might have led to there being improved exit/reentry initiatives at dive sites around the island. I could certainly see some form of crowdfunding etc or government initiatives to solicit donations and build a permanent entryway over the ironstone with steps into the water at sites like saltpier etc.

like dedicated benches in a park or the zoo.

Can anyone think of a solid reason why this hasn’t happened or is this something that just hasn’t happened yet...will anyone look out over saltpier one day in the not too distant future, chuckle to a younger diver and say ‘ haha, when my mother brought me here diving as a kid, you had to climb over the rocks in all your gear, step on a few anemones, cut your butt etc..none of this luxury iron walkway over the rocks and steps down to the water deal!’

And 50 years after that you would get "don't use that rusty piece of #$% ladder, let's just go in here"...
I guess it is rather difficult to judge what is more damaging to the environment, both from an ecologic as an optical point of view. Either accept some damage caused by people falling, bashing tanks against rocks etc. or litter the horizon with metal walkways and steps every few hundred meters. Though choice. Personally, I really like the rough, natural look of Bonaire, so I prefer to go without steps. But you are right, that does mean I need to be careful about not damaging anything.

I often thought why can't they just pour alittle concrete at each site, just enough to get past the turbulace at shoreline. 15’ or so would do it.

Maybe there is also the argument of ‘if it ‘ain’t broke’ and the difficult/unattractive entries do a good job of limiting the amount of divers to a manageable number :)

If the entries become overly hazardous due to my aging carcass, I will start restricting my diving to the truly easy entries. When that becomes a problem, I'll shift to boat dives, or quit diving, if necessary.

I'd prefer the island doesn't "improve" the entries. I think it would be a detriment overall. And I can't see Stinapa signing off on it.

Maybe it's possible to have the best of both worlds; last September somebody created a "natural" entrance at the Salt Pier. Some rocks piled on each other on the beach to mark the spot, 2 bigger rocks right in front of that in the water to help with the first big step. That seemed to work rather well..

There are plenty of easy entrance dive sites. I would prefer not having ugly stairs / ladders / etc on the shore :)
The island is pretty ugly, in my opinion, don’t think some low jetty’s would take away from anything visually on the surface and may help improve the beauty underwater.

Have you seen what the occasional rogue waves do to the shore? Up near Lighthouse Point there USED TO BE 2 very large artificial rock reefs jutting out about 20-30 feet from shore. We have dived that area frequently for 25 years. The rocks were big, damn big. They are mostly gone now.

This is Bonaire. IF you could convince them to put anything in (doubtful), I'm pretty sure it would not stand the test of time and weather.

It's 'natural' (enough). Leave it alone. It's getting screwed up enough by 'success'. Make it easier and it will really go to hell. Nothing like success to ruin a place.

Back
Top Bottom