Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we will set up our bc/reg/tank in the shade back at the resort whenever possible.
That's not the hassle I'm referring to. First, I don't like diving without a phone/radio nearby. Second, I hate that I feel trapped by not being able to bring a wallet or other stuff. It takes the fun out of it. Lastly, some of the entries and exits are problematic, like at the Hilma Hooker. Far, far safer to dive that off of the boat.

I bring a little waterproof plastic wallet or similar with driver's license, some money & the truck, hotel & room safe keys. I've yet to commit to putting an iPhone worth hundreds in a plastic case & diving. I could rent a Digicel cheapy, I suppose.

Yes, the entries & exits over iron shore can be rough. Gloves being forbidden doesn't help that.

I generally 'repurpose' an empty plastic bottle for drinking water & a little rinse water. Nobody's likely to steal that. I take a chance on cheap sunglasses; so far, so good. I sometimes put an apple in the truck. If I wanted, a couple of PB&J sandwiches could be taken; in the unlikely event of theft, no big loss.

Anything else, I can go back to the room. It's a small island.

I love Bonaire, but I wouldn't pick it just to boat dive. I can hit Key Largo cheaper, sacrifice some viz. but get more fish, more big stuff and the option for more deep wrecks. Or a live-aboard with a similar dive count, easy daily dive workflow and more big stuff. In fact, if I were headed down to the Bonaire region just to boat dive & only shore dive the house reef...does Bonaire have any advantage over Curacao, from that mindset? Wouldn't I gain cheaper airfare, some sandy beaches, more topside attractions & a bigger island? (I've stayed on Bonaire 8 times, Curacao never, and when I compare, the more roundabout driving between shore dive sites I read about on Curacao puts me off). Both are below the hurricane belt & far enough south so water's warm even in winter. I've been told the diving is pretty similar.

Richard.

P.S.: The main thing I miss taking vs. a perfect world situation would be a second digital camera, to snap dive site & area photos without opening an underwater case (which I don't do), or shooting from inside a housing. That's nothing that's put me off from Bonaire trips.

Curacao is Bonaire's wild sister. Bonaire is pretty homogeneous in her diving whereas Curacao is anything but. I've been to both places twice and I enjoy Curacao a lot more. More to do topside as well.

Richard,

We never bother taking our drivers' licenses with us - remember the point of this thread - it's a lawless island - there aren't any cops to check your license anyway.:)

Something we do but haven't noticed anybody else doing - we will set up our bc/reg/tank in the shade back at the resort whenever possible. Makes gearing up at the site (in the sun) quicker. Still a hassle, yes, but a little better.
We do that. With a change/check at the next site.

I do that also, When I get back to the house I stay at... I'll rinse the gear and set up new tanks... I really never break down the kit really... Stand in the back of the pick-up with a fresh tank standing next to the empty tank with the BC and reg Set on.. Un-screw the regulator and hold with carrying handle of the BC, open the cam and just lift the whole thing off the empty and slip it on the full tank.. Takes all of 45 sec to a minute ...

And they always let me take 6 tanks...

Jim....

I generally 'repurpose' an empty plastic bottle for drinking water & a little rinse water. Nobody's likely to steal that. I sometimes put an apple in the truck. If I wanted, a couple of PB&J sandwiches could be taken; in the unlikely event of theft, no big loss.

You think they are possibly going to steal those? Nope, they get far more enjoyment out of thinking about you eating them after they had 45 minutes to molest them in any perverse way that came to them while you were diving. I dare you now to be able to not have that thought go through your head the next time you're diving in Bonaire and you start to eat your PB&J that you left in your unlocked car, not to mention that reuseable bottle of plastic water that you brought and now you're wondering if it has a slight yellow tint to it now LOL

You think they are possibly going to steal those? Nope, they get far more enjoyment out of thinking about you eating them after they had 45 minutes to molest them in any perverse way that came to them while you were diving. I dare you now to be able to not have that thought go through your head the next time you're diving in Bonaire and you start to eat your PB&J that you left in your unlocked car, not to mention that reuseable bottle of plastic water that you brought and now you're wondering if it has a slight yellow tint to it now LOL

Thanks for the additional pleasant thoughts regarding Bonaire. Not only petty thugs, but also just mean?

Not really. I did just that the last time I was there: The house reef and boats.

I did mostly the same on my last Bonaire trip too. While we did still do a fair amount of truck based dives, we took advantage of the trip package's 6 boat based dives (saw Helma Hooker that way) and did a fair number of dives off the nice house reef, using their very handy nice pier, just to reduce effort and make it feel more like a vacation and not a forced march military boot camp. Using the hose reef was especially nice for Night dives, making entry and exit sooo much easier, and we can easily navigate by the resort/pier night lights to find our way back to our safe entry point. No way were we going to try to trek across iron-shore boulder/crags through pounding surf at night in complete darkness, much less try to re locate where exactly we left our truck and try to navigate our way back....that would be crazy!

You guys are wimps.... Heheee.. Easy night dives... Windsock, Something Special, Salt Pier and the Fish Shack...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom