Bonaire car/truck security ideas pls...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan to bring one of these and put it on the steering wheel..................sound good?

AquaVault & FlexSafe: The Ultimate Portable Safe ---- SHARK TANK

Just going to throw my 2 cents out there.

The likelihood of a thief carrying bolt cutters around is very low.
The likelihood of a thief seeing your 'safe' and being intrigued enough to maybe stop back to your vehicle in a day or two while your diving, and they grabbed a set of bolt cutters is higher, IMHO.

I WOULD NOT secure that thing in plain sight. Rather I'd find some support member under the seat, or in the engine compartment to secure it to. I'd make the thief find it first, and then deal with stealing it...

Bicycle thieves carry bolt cutters. Why not car thieves?

On Bonaire?

If my truck has some kind of unfamiliar locked box attached to it that may or may not be susceptible to being forced open within a few minutes, and the truck next to mine has a bag lying on the seat, my guess is the thieves are going to grab the bag and leave my truck alone. If there is no truck at that site with a bag or other easy pickings, my guess is the thieves are going to move on to another site before they would start working on a locked box. Despite all the warnings, people still leave interesting things in their trucks, and I think the thieves know that they will find a truck with easy pickings within a short amount of time.

I doubt that. My guess is that they will go after every truck in the area that is parked in isolation. A lock box is like waving a red flag at a bull.

I doubt that. My guess is that they will go after every truck in the area that is parked in isolation. A lock box is like waving a red flag at a bull.

I completely disagree, based on absolutely nothing but pure speculation. :) I know nothing about the psychology of theft.

My thinking is that would-be thieves know divers come and go as the day goes by, and that if they linger too long while working on a locked box, somebody may drive up to the site. Would a burglar who checks the doors on two neighboring houses try to break into the one that is unlocked, grab what he can, and make a getaway, or would he work on the one that is locked because he thinks it's more likely to contain valuables? Poor analogy?

We can agree to disagree. Go ahead and give your theory a trial and let the post know how it turned out.

A bolt cutter can go through cable or a chain link in about 2 seconds.

The only way to prevent theft from a truck in Bonaire is to not leave valuables when unattended.

We can agree to disagree. Go ahead and give your theory a trial and let the post know how it turned out.

I don't leave anything more than a ratty t-shirt or pair of ratty flip-flops visible in my vehicle, whether on Bonaire or in my parking lot at home. I don't carry spare photo gear like the OP. I think storing things in a dive shop locker was the best suggestion for him.

On the boltcutters, I would guess that maybe only one in 10 trucks has something in it that a thief might want to steal, and so maybe only one in 100 trucks has something that appears it might be of value AND is attached to the truck in some way that might be circumvented using boltcutters. If the thieves believe more or less the same as that, how likely is it that a thief would comb the dive site parking lots carrying boltcutters? Would all of the, I dunno, two or three thieves roaming around Bonaire dive sites at any given time have boltcutters? How many boltcutters does the Bonaire hardware store sell? I don't think these would-be thieves always even arrive at the parking lots in their own vehicles. The last scene I observed involved a smashed window and a trail of personal junk leading over a wall into the scrub brush, where there lay the backpack they had emptied out. I get the impression these are just young people looking for easy pickings from clueless tourists, not pro thieves with boltcutters.

Perhaps it's time to resurrect this little gadget:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom