Bonaire car/truck security ideas pls...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there was something I absolutely had to have with me, I have an amazing plan.

Bring a waterproof box big enough for what you need. Mark it with your name & contact info. Pack it up when you get to the dive site. Attach a tank light to the box and bring it down to about 20’. Leave it where it is secure and easy for you to find again. Gondive. Grab your box when you come back to the truck. Do not tie it to coral please, no harming the ocean critters :). If you need to make sure it doesn’t move, toss 5-10 pounds of weight in there.

No thieves are going to 20’ for some camera batteries. The divers aren’t the normal issue.

Almost foolproof and you can leave the truck empty.

You’re welcome.

How is it not removed with a cutting device?

I didn't read the specs, but I have to believe it's reinforced enough that scissors, knife, etc., wouldn't cut through it. The expectation would be that casual thieves don't carry bolt cutters, hacksaws, etc. On Bonaire, the M.O. is smash the window with a rock, grab what they can, and run.

I actually have a flexsafe which I use for local dives. Works great. It is more canvas than fabric. I had someone try to cut it off a pole I attached it to while I was shore diving. I could tell they gave up quickly. I plan on taking one to Bonaire in the fall.

No good ideas from me really.

Someone mentioned stashing under water near exit / entry site. Not sure how practical of an idea that is, but current wise that should be easy in Bonaire.

Someone mentioned lockers at a place.
Are those condidered safe?

A bit tough to teavel with: :wink:
Formerly real, now fake Al80 with removable bottom insert (say the center 70% of the bottom, hide the seam by placing tank with bottom aganst front end if bed) in truck bed amongst other tanks?
Once found out so, potentially no tank is safe anymore...

Empty canister light battery canister, large enough to store what you need to have and take with you on the dive?

PVC pipe contraption to do the same, either made to open easy and yet seal well (the a canister might make sense) or closed with "screw in end plug" and hide a suitable wrench (might need 2, one a steap wrench = cumbersome) in vehicle?

Water filter housing with ports plugged?

Hide somewhere under the truck's hood and never be seen fishing around in there?

I didn't read the specs, but I have to believe it's reinforced enough that scissors, knife, etc., wouldn't cut through it. The expectation would be that casual thieves don't carry bolt cutters, hacksaws, etc. On Bonaire, the M.O. is smash the window with a rock, grab what they can, and run.

Back when work used "security cables" on computers and monitors, everyone tended to lose the keys... I may not carry boltcutters and hacksaw but the leatherman I do carry will chew through that cable. Admittedly, with some difficulty.

Back when work used "security cables" on computers and monitors, everyone tended to lose the keys... I may not carry boltcutters and hacksaw but the leatherman I do carry will chew through that cable. Admittedly, with some difficulty.

I have no way of knowing, but my speculation is that the smash-and-grabbers of Bonaire don't carry any sort of tools.

I vaguely recall a report of theft of certain auto parts, but that's different.

I have no way of knowing, but my speculation is that the smash-and-grabbers of Bonaire don't carry any sort of tools.

... Let the arms race begin ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom