Bonaire, Belize, ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to all three locations.

Cayman Islands are a little on the expensive side and there are a lot of wall dives. Unless you have your bouyancy under control, this may not be the best choice.

Belize, Ambergris Caye is a lot of fun. I dove with Amigos del Mar and stayed in the Mayan Princess. Amigos did an excellant job. They used six packs. Your entry was a back roll off of the gunnel. You doffed your gear in the water and handed it up to the captain at the end of the dive. Getting back on the boat wasn't tough unless there was a substantial wave action. Then timing was critical or you stood the chance of getting brained by the ladder.

Bonaire was (in my opinion) probably the best choice for divers of limited experience. I stayed at Divi Flamingo and used the in house dive service. Our captain/DM combo were Rommel and Lutty. Both were excellant. The dives were not super challenging. We encountered no significant currents. The "big" fish were scarcer than Belize, but plenty of smaller reef fish, turtles, rays, octopus, eels, crab and lobster. The reefs are in good shape with plenty of sponges and stuff.

Whatever you choose, have fun and dive safe.

Art

I just got back from Belize (Ambergris Caye) and am already planning my next trip back. I would recommend it to anyone. Fantastic place, awesome people, good diving. Couldn't think of one thing I didn't like.

ajdaniel:
thank you for all of the replies!! Bonaire it is then! Found this really good deal ($1500 US) at the Plaza including 6 days of double tank dives and unl shore diving for 2 people. $350 extra for a truck (which we want). I think that we will use the first day to refresh and boat dive for some experience before going out ourselves to shore dive. (I still remember my dive tables :) ) Anyone have any other experience with the op Toucan?

You might also want to check out the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire before booking your trip. It might save you some money.

http://www.goldenreefinn.com/packages2005_2006.html#stay_drive_dive

My wife, daughter and I are staying at Golden Reef Inn this summer. This is our first time staying there but I have seen several good reports about Golden Reef Inn.

I met Liz (one of the owners) on two occasions (Sea Rovers in Boston and Beneath The Sea in NY/NJ). Based on those two meetings and my experience while booking the reservations I am very comfortable in dealing with her. She came across as very straight-forward and customer-focused.

ajdaniel:
thank you for all of the replies!! Bonaire it is then! Found this really good deal ($1500 US) at the Plaza including 6 days of double tank dives and unl shore diving for 2 people. $350 extra for a truck (which we want). I think that we will use the first day to refresh and boat dive for some experience before going out ourselves to shore dive. (I still remember my dive tables :) ) Anyone have any other experience with the op Toucan?
It is my experience that on boat dives in Bonaire you will not have a DM go with you. If you want a DM to accompany you and since you have not dived for so long since cert then you do need one, make sure you book someone through the dive shop.
You still have a lot of skills to practice, especially bouyancy before you just go out there and dive the reefs.
The walls can be steep and you can get deepish pretty easy.

Bonaire is awesome though. Just got back from there last month myself and would go back in a heartbeat. Navigation is as easy as it can get.. Swim out to reef.. turn right or left.. go to turn point, turn back. Lots of creatures to see. You are going to double your dives for sure.
Check out www.Bonairetalk.com for a ton of info on Bonaire.

ronbeau:
You might also want to check out the Golden Reef Inn on Bonaire before booking your trip. It might save you some money.
I've been wanting to try Bonaire myself but haven't because of the prices I've seen. Golden Reef Inn looks ALOT more reasonably priced than what Ive seen online so far. I'm a real cheapster and used to paying less than 350 a week TOTAL for a hotel room in Mexico. When I saw 900+ PER PERSON for Buddy Dive and similar places I almost croacked!

$1014 per couple at GRI is a little more reasonable considering that includes ...
Shore Diving ($22 day*2divers*5days(no divin last day))
Truck ($60? day * 6days)
that leaves $434 for Hotel?
=$1014 value

Hotels still not quite as cheap as Mexico but eliminating boat expenses makes total cost comparable. Anybody know what the weathers like down there in Jan? (Already got my vacation time this year booked)

I was a new diver in Bonaire and it worked out beautifully. Many many dive spots available. Didn't run into any strong currents. And navigation is easy. Get the book "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" before you go. We went through it so we could pick out the easiest dives and do them first. It gives a good idea of the conditions you'll encounter. Have fun.

I have been to Bonaire & Belize. It depends on what your looking for in diving.
Bonaire was the clearest - 35m vis. The coral was fantastic and even got my first pics of dolphin. Buddy Dive was superb. Belize is the friendliest place around. Vis was 18 - 20 m. Loads of rays (spotted eagle & mantas) also nurse sharks, groupers etc.. I will go back to both.

My wife and I did our first saltwater dives in Grand Cayman, the dives were easy, water was warm, and lots of sea life (also our first shark), it is expensive, but well worth the cost. We are headed to Bonaire in the next couple of weeks, this trip isn't real cheap either...but "I needs the warm water". If you go to Grand Cayman I highly recommend Neptune Divers, they are a small operation and will show you a great time.

Hi there Bismark, I'm heading back to
Bonaire after 10 years (it was my first dive island way back when). I'd take any suggestion on great restaurants and top knotch dive operations :) Looking forward to seeing it again.

Back
Top Bottom