Bonaire...avg depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely go nitrox. You spend so much of your time diving, it will be a definite plus. A lot of people say it helps with fatigue as well. Get the instruction here and the certification there. That's what we did and it worked out fine.

When we first started diving and I was planning our first dive trip, people told me Bonaire was the place for newbies. But, somehow, I couldn't get my mind around the idea of the three of us (family) driving around in a truck and diving all by ourselves. Well, I was wrong, and I really regret not getting our cert dives in Bonaire. I can't imagine a better place for a newbie.

About our depth question--there is tons to see at 60 feet and above. My only caveat is that it is extremely easy to find yourself lower than you meant to go. This is due to two things: excellent viz and the gently sloping reefs.

As for the Hilma Hooker, when we went I had a little anxiety attack (first real wreck? It is kind of spooky, I guess) and spent most of the time floating above my husband and son at 50 feet. No problem, still had an interesting dive.

Bottom line: you are going to have a fantastic time at any depth.

Sorrows:
Definitely go nitrox. You spend so much of your time diving, it will be a definite plus. A lot of people say it helps with fatigue as well. Get the instruction here and the certification there. That's what we did and it worked out fine.

Most agencies no longer require making dives to earn your nitrox certification
so you need not have that distraction on your vacation. If you can already plan a dive and follow the plan the class and lab will give you all that you need.

Many resorts offer free nitrox upgrades as the season grows late or will provide it for a flat fee during your stay.

Pete

Sorrows:
My only caveat is that it is extremely easy to find yourself lower than you meant to go. This is due to two things: excellent viz and the gently sloping reefs.

Sorry, got to call BS on this. It's due to only ONE thing: an inability/unwillingness to follow a plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom