Bonaire Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jefflamingo

Reaction score
I'm diving in Bonaire for the first time this winter. Can you tell me what I should and should not miss? I'll be there for one weeK.

Jefflamingo

Are you a new diver or more experienced? Bonaire is all about shore diving. Don't really need any boat diving unless you do a dive or 2 off Klein Bonaire. The stronger current tends to be closer to the tips of the island. In any event, the night dive at town pier is a must. And my personal favorite was Oil Slick Leap. We did it at like 3pm or 4pm and the day creatures started to go in and the night creatures to come out. Andreas 1 and 2 are good. There is a family of squid that lives there. Of course the Hilma Hooker if you are AOW. Other favorites are pink beach, bachelor's beach, ole blue, witches hut, buddy's reef. Hey ...they're all great!

Don't forget Karpata!

Karpata's great, I also preferred "Red Hut" down by the lighthouse. Current was a bit stronger but I saw most ever down there every time.

Also, Salt Pier was always pretty good. But the Town Pier night dive is the best shallow dive I've ever done. 45 minutes at almost entirely less than 30 feet, but saw more eels, juvenile fish, and macro than on any other one dive there. Had to go to Borneo to beat it for a one-dive special!

Can't lose on Bonaire. I always love having my own schedule. Ever wake up at 3a.m. and decide to go out? No problem here.

If you're a topside party-life type. Don't go here. Great restaurants, but no night life. If you've ever lived in small-town Europe (Germany for me), it'll feel the same but very warm in comparison. Not a latin feel at all, because of the Dutch citizenship.

Karpata's great, I also preferred "Red Hut" down by the lighthouse. Current was a bit stronger but I saw most ever down there every time.
You mean "Red Slave"?

One of the great things about Bonaire is that you can choose when and where to dive if you are shore diving. You can see great topography, the double reef, little critters in the rubble ... the list goes on and on. A great resource for learning about the dive sites and their entries and exits is Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. The author lives in Bonaire so knows her stuff! Website is Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, BSDME, Author Susan Porter

A few tips ... make sure you have hard sole boots for shore entries and exits; be sure not to leave anything of value in your vehicle when at dive sites; take an empty litre soda bottle filled with water and leave it in your truck bed during the dive for a nice warm rinse when done. Pay your departure tax a day or two before you leave so that you do not have to stand in line the day of departure. In restaurants it is customary to ask for your check -- it will not be brought to you until you do so. You can pay in US dollars but expect change in local currency.

Favorite restaurants: Pasa Bon Pizza, Bobbejan's, Wil's Tropical Grill and Patagonia.

Yes...."Shore Diving Made Easy" was very helpful to us also. And....our room had a kitchen in it and we went to the Catamara grocery store for food. That's how we did breakfast and lunch and then ate out for dinner.

Garbage bags for the seats while you're diving, saves a wet butt when going to dinner.
Wake when you want , dive when you want................it's all good, really it's all good.

Are you a new diver or more experienced? Bonaire is all about shore diving. Don't really need any boat diving unless you do a dive or 2 off Klein Bonaire. The stronger current tends to be closer to the tips of the island. In any event, the night dive at town pier is a must. And my personal favorite was Oil Slick Leap. We did it at like 3pm or 4pm and the day creatures started to go in and the night creatures to come out. Andreas 1 and 2 are good. There is a family of squid that lives there. Of course the Hilma Hooker if you are AOW. Other favorites are pink beach, bachelor's beach, ole blue, witches hut, buddy's reef. Hey ...they're all great!
'bout 100 dives so far, mostly Cozumel, but BVI, Caymans, Akumal too. We'll do both boat and shore dives. I figured it would be best to get oriented that way. Next time....

Back
Top Bottom