bolt snap on the neck of the tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eternaljonah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a question :

Since a couple of months I have stopped adding a bolt snap on the neck tank. In short my tanks are clipped on my waist d-rings and bungeed at the neck of the tank (via a continues loop)

How many of you out there use a bolt snap on the neck of the tank?
And why?

Yes I use a neck clip:
1) It helps when gearing up in the water, clip the neck in and deal with the bungie next with one hand or at another time.
2) You can walk out of the water without overstressing the neck bungie. Not recommended for any distance but it works.
3) When your neck bungie breaks or comes off for whatever reason (it will eventually, give it time) the tank won't immediately drop drastically, hang upside down, and destroy the vis (and the floor) of the cave.

I use neck clip too. Critical when gearing up on rocky boat where conditions do not allow in water gear up.

I use a fairly long one. Too short and it forces your tanks out of trim. The reason I started using them is because it's what I was taught. Since then, I've lost them and then started using them again. It's nice during gear-up to have your tanks mostly hanging in place. Plus surface walks mean I just have to undo the bungee before I stand up out of the water. As for boats, I clip off neck leash and tail leash and hop in.....I worry about bungees later. Once you're in the water, they do nothing besides play backup to your bungee....but they don't really get in the way, either.

I use one in case the bungee breaks.

Interesting.
I have used the range of bungee from old school tire inner tube, to surgical tubing, round bungee and my personal favorite flat bungee, and have never experienced breakage. Ironically, I did have a friend that replaced a bungee due to excessive wear, and had a bolt snap as a retainer. Never sure if the extra rubbing against the bolt snap was the catalyst,but that was never my reason for not using a bolt snap.

Just replaced a worn out 6mm a few days ago.
Never used a safety clip after trying them for the first time and getting them thoroughly entangled.
Had several bungee failures during the last few years, never one where a safety-clip could have improved the situation.
4-Tank_carry.jpg

I use one when I'll have to carry the tanks a long way, when I don't I have a spare double ender in my pouch, securing my back up mask, I case of a bungee failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2015 at 12:03 PM ----------

Just replaced a worn out 6mm a few days ago.
Never used a safety clip after trying them for the first time and getting them thoroughly entangled.
Had several bungee failures during the last few years, never one where a safety-clip could have improved the situation.
View attachment 211762

Razor, are you tech diving now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

use one always, always have. I carry my bottles out of the caves on my rig all the time, and don't put the bungees on until I'm in the water and flat. Makes life easier for me. They are just long enough to not pull when the bungees are on. Quick loop of paracord around the neck and clipped to the shoulder D-rings. Wouldn't dive without them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom