Body orientation during a dive - what to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is wrong, the relationship between the stages is irrelevant. The relative discrepancy in IP amounts to a rounding error. It's the second stage to lungs depth relationship that governs the work of breathing.

Pete

Can you explain that, I don't really understand. If you're inverted, your lungs will be experiencing a slightly lower atm pressure than the second stage which will be at a deeper depth than your lungs.
If this is indeed the case wouldn't air flow be easier when inverted?

Can you explain that, I don't really understand. If you're inverted, your lungs will be experiencing a slightly lower atm pressure than the second stage which will be at a deeper depth than your lungs.
If this is indeed the case wouldn't air flow be easier when inverted?

Re-read my post and you will see that I took exception to the mention of the 1st stage depth being out of sync with the tune of the 2nd stage as an issue.

I then went on to say that the issue is the relationship of the lungs to the 2nd stage.

At the end of post 7 I went on to say that air delivery will be very free in a head down orientation for the reasons you now mention.

Pete

Re-read my post and you will see that I took exception to the mention of the 1st stage depth being out of sync with the tune of the 2nd stage as an issue.

I then went on to say that the issue is the relationship of the lungs to the 2nd stage.

At the end of post 7 I went on to say that air delivery will be very free in a head down orientation for the reasons you now mention.

Pete

But that's the thing. When I go inverted I feel it's harder NOT easier to get air from the second stage. I know a few other posters agreed and I certainly think the OP was hinting at that. So I ask again, can you clarify? I still don't understand how the lungs can affect breathing at depth since it's the (slightly above) ambient pressure of the second stage that allows you to breath easily, not your lung power.

I sometimes find it difficult to remain vertical. My head tends to drop forward and my hips and rear float up. Yes I have a higher waist and hip measurement than I should. I generally have no real trouble maintaining neutral buoyancy in any position, but I do seem to have orientation issues when i want to be vertical. Apart from weight loss or exercise to build my core strength (both of which are easier said than done for me), does anyone have other suggestions? Can I put a bit of weight on my ankles without pulling my legs down too much when horizontal?

Given this is a "new diver forum" about body position, not the technicalities of Intermediate pressure discrepancies...

Yes, many basic model regulators don't breathe so well when you're upside down; nothing a good cough or a small push on the purge button can't rectify.

In recreational diving; assuming you are correctly weighted, there are no body positions that are detrimental to your general well-being beyond those that might cause you some personal discomfort based on your own body shape and size, and any physiological problems you may have (bad back, gammy knee, whatever)

On the other hand, body positions to be avoided because they make you look a bit daft include permanently swimming head up and feet down, or feet up and head down, because this generally means you are either incorrectly weighted or not operating your gear correctly. Also you end up bashing into the coral, which is never a good thing, either for you, or it. Standard dive position is, of course, horizontal, streamlined and looking like a megastar, but if you want to float on your back, upside down, at an angle, do barrel rolls, do forward rolls, and as Doc Harry said, enjoy the 3D experience, then go for it! It's fun! It's one of the reasons I love to dive!

(As long as you do it safely!)

Cheers

C.

You have more options in terms of movement when you are horizontal. You can go forward, backward, rotate side to side, go up or down. When vertical you dont have as many options.

While completing your training dives the hover can often be tricky and many divers loose confidence in their ability to hover because they cannot maintain a head up position and begin to flap arms to try to reattain the position demonstated by their instructor. There is no set position demanded by PADI so long as you can demonstrate the skill, however in the heads up position it can be difficult too assess your position in the water and lead to an uncontrolled ascent as mentioned in an earlier post. Best thing to do is practice and with time you will be able to hover in any position desired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom