Body of missing Florida free diver found in cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That article lacks all detail. It's unclear how the body got into the cave. The way I read it, it's possible that he swam into the cave and it's possible that he died and the body ended up in the cave. It's not clear. Does anyone know if there is current at that location that could have moved the body inside the cave?

R..

That article lacks all detail. It's unclear how the body got into the cave. The way I read it, it's possible that he swam into the cave and it's possible that he died and the body ended up in the cave. It's not clear. Does anyone know if there is current at that location that could have moved the body inside the cave?

R..

I have little cave diving knowledge (cavern cert) but its seems plausiable that a body with the assistance of gravity could sink into spring basin entrances even against flow...

Has anyone that's been to Chassahowitzka River Campground describe the underwater structure? From the various media descriptions I'm having trouble finding out if there are actual caves there or just caverns. From what I've read the formations are tight enough to be limited to freediving only.

From what I've read the formations are tight enough to be limited to freediving only.
Sounds like a challenge to me! :D

Edit: Nevermind, someone might actually try that.

CITRUS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- The Citrus County Sheriff's Office dive team recovered the body of a missing college student in a cave overnight.

Sheriff's officials say 21-year-old Joseph Kelly disappeared in the water while free diving with friends Saturday night around 9 p.m.

A few hours later, the dive team found Kelly's body in about eight feet of water near the Chassahowitzka River Campground.

Kelly, a University of Central Florida student, was originally from Vero Beach.

According to authorities, his body will be taken to the medical examiner's office in Leesburg for an autopsy.

It's right there in the article. He was diving inside a cave.

Cave diving.

I'm a little confused about your statement. It simply says that they found him in a cave. While I am very new to diving, I would have to imagine that current could have pushed him into the cave if he was not in there by intent. The second thing I do not understand is that even if he went into the cave intentionally, that doesn't make it cave diving anymore than jumping out of a plain without a parachute and training would be skydiving.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just don't understand how this persons actions can be associated with what is an otherwise safe activity when done properly.

Just my $.02

Has anyone that's been to Chassahowitzka River Campground describe the underwater structure? From the various media descriptions I'm having trouble finding out if there are actual caves there or just caverns. From what I've read the formations are tight enough to be limited to freediving only.

I have been there numerous times, but never dove or swam there, && have never seen anyone else doing it. The water is clearer, [ from springs ] than it looks in the pictures & it is a petty place. During the Winter, Manatees come up into that area, too.
It always seems that at every death of a diver, there is guessing & other statements that should be omitted. Let's all respect the dying man's family by refraining from this.
R.I.P.

I'm a little confused about your statement. It simply says that they found him in a cave. While I am very new to diving, I would have to imagine that current could have pushed him into the cave if he was not in there by intent. The second thing I do not understand is that even if he went into the cave intentionally, that doesn't make it cave diving anymore than jumping out of a plain without a parachute and training would be skydiving.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just don't understand how this persons actions can be associated with what is an otherwise safe activity when done properly.

Just my $.02

The truth is you would have to ask his friends if they were all free diving into the cave. My guess is they were. Perhaps not.

The current could have put the body into the cave. Anything could have done that.

Any diving in a cave is cave diving.

"Safe" is relative. People die in caves all the time whether they do it properly or not.

Limiting cave access would reduce accidents. I don't do caves, but my logic tells me that the intelligent restriction of cave diving access to those with the training to do it safely wouldn't be a bad thing. Implementing that is another story, but the basic concept of limited access doesn't bother me any more than requiring a card to get an air fill.
As always the question is "who decides?" I, personally, want to be able to decide for myself, and so I support everyone else's right to decide for themselves, too, and even though it would be a far better world if I were in charge and made your decisions for you, I'll forego that desire and leave you to your own decisions so long as you leave me to mine.
It's called "freedom."
Rick

As always the question is "who decides?" I, personally, want to be able to decide for myself, and so I support everyone else's right to decide for themselves, too, and even though it would be a far better world if I were in charge and made your decisions for you, I'll forego that desire and leave you to your own decisions so long as you leave me to mine.
It's called "freedom."
Rick

There are always limits and slippery slope arguments whenever change is proposed. Who decided what agencies should be allowed to issue cards? Who decided to enforce their power to do so by refusing service to potential divers with no certification? Initially, I was just pointing out that there are already agencies who decide which individuals should be allowed to dive. What would you expect the result to be if you made that argument as a replacement for a C card requirement?

If I were to actually propose a cave program, it would have to start with a handful of recognized experts putting together a minimum set of certification criteria in league with the certification agencies. Then, any agency who wished to issue a cave card could do so by implementing a program to meet or exceed those criteria. A couplle years down the road, cards would become a requirement for cave access.

It's academic, though. Just as there is no police force waiting at 61' to check for AOW cards, there will be no one waiting in every cave to check for certifications. If an area is privately owned and managed, the owners are already free to impose access restrictions as they see fit.

Back
Top Bottom