body glove wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyBlu

Reaction score
hey guys...ive been diving for about 4 years now with a 3 ml shorty wetsuit. in the past i dont think i have really needed it. i started looking at thinner wetsuits so that i wouldnt be so "constricted".

i cam across those thin wetsuits that surfers wear called body glove. they make them for divers too..but the ones surfers wear are really thin. some people have told me that it helsp keep them warm...but today when i went out to look at them..it says that all they do is protect you from the sun.

my question is..has anyone ever dove with a surfer style body glove wetsuit? if you havnt..would u? im going to cozumel in 2 weeks and the water there is warm..and im sure the majority of the people on this board know that already. so like i said..just wonderin if anyone has any experiece with that stuff. again its not the body glove wetsuits made for divers..but for surfers/wakeboarders.

thanks

NavyBlu:
my question is..has anyone ever dove with a surfer style body glove wetsuit? if you havnt..would u?

In the tropics, I sometimes dive with a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-Op) www.mec.ca 3mm Farmer John Shorty that was designed for paddlers.

Keep me warm enough, then again, it depends on your body and the fit.

A friend of mine dives in a surfing wetsuit (not bodyglove, but similar) and has no problems with it. From what I understand, the surfing wetsuits are built with an eye toward less bulk, but better seals, to keep you warmer without restricting movement. Might be chilly at depth once it's compressed, though.

Most brands do offer suits in a range of materials. There are also material choices that offer more freedome of movement. The inportant thing is to have the right suit for the right event. The demands on a dive suit will be different that a surfing suit in many cases. In some situations they can be interchangeable.

My point is to understanbd the depths and temperatures you will be diving and go from there. Don't go buy a thin suit just to be comfortable because if your freezing you won't be comfortable.

Pete

NavyBlu:
hey guys...ive been diving for about 4 years now with a 3 ml shorty wetsuit. in the past i dont think i have really needed it. i started looking at thinner wetsuits so that i wouldnt be so "constricted".

i cam across those thin wetsuits that surfers wear called body glove. they make them for divers too..but the ones surfers wear are really thin. some people have told me that it helsp keep them warm...but today when i went out to look at them..it says that all they do is protect you from the sun.

my question is..has anyone ever dove with a surfer style body glove wetsuit? if you havnt..would u? im going to cozumel in 2 weeks and the water there is warm..and im sure the majority of the people on this board know that already. so like i said..just wonderin if anyone has any experiece with that stuff. again its not the body glove wetsuits made for divers..but for surfers/wakeboarders.

thanks

I think the ones that O'Neill make for surfers are very similar to the ones that BodyGlove make. If that's what you're looking for, you might check them out, too. My shorty was an O'Neill.

Actually I've been diving in rash guard & board shorts for 2yrs+ & it works well for me in Asia when water temp is usually abt 25-30 degrees C. Agree with spectrum...end of the day, it depends on where u're diving & your threshold for cold!

The short answer is yes. I dive a Body Glove 3/2 full body suit on most of my off shore NC dives and most of my Carib dives as well. It is more than enough as far as I am concerned.

In a short time...see the timer...I am off to Barbados and while I will be taking my BG 3/2 with me...I will be trying a skins / shorty combination for the first couple of dives.

Let you know how it worked out.
rich

NavyBlu, seriously, only 3 kinds of people dive with wetsuits in Coz: girls, greenhorns, and...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom