Bodega Bay Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboytoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, any suggestions on diving in the Bodega Bay area? I'm planning a multi-day, camping trip for my dive club at Doran Campground next summer, but I've never dived that area. I'm familiar with the northern coast, and love diving around the Stillwater Cove area, and the Mendocino area too, but I don't know the good spots close to this campground. So...any suggestions? Also, how is good is the boat ramp there?

Thanks,

Tessa

tomboytoo:
Hello, any suggestions on diving in the Bodega Bay area? I'm planning a multi-day, camping trip for my dive club at Doran Campground next summer, but I've never dived that area. I'm familiar with the northern coast, and love diving around the Stillwater Cove area, and the Mendocino area too, but I don't know the good spots close to this campground. So...any suggestions? Also, how is good is the boat ramp there?

Thanks,

Tessa

Here is a link to a discussion on that topic.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89968&highlight=bodega+bay

It is not a spot that people often dive at due to visibility. Also, a lot of people fish there, which leads to entanglement hazards. Having said that, ZKY had a good time diving there and I have been planning to check it out myself. I think it is more of a been there, done that dive than anything else.

renpirate:
Here is a link to a discussion on that topic.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=89968&highlight=bodega+bay

It is not a spot that people often dive at due to visibility. Also, a lot of people fish there, which leads to entanglement hazards. Having said that, ZKY had a good time diving there and I have been planning to check it out myself. I think it is more of a been there, done that dive than anything else.
Everything Andy said.

Actually I've already clued Tessa in on some of the better spots on the North Coast via PM's.

BTW, we need to get out to the "Rock" soon, or a least get another crack at it!

ZKY

Hey, I didn't realize it was you! Thanks for the advice, does that mean you and your family might join our group? Peter is looking into asking someone who works at the Lab if we can get some advice on where to dive, maybe even get permission to dive in the reserve. I'm hearing a lot about great whites, so maybe we need to head back north to our old stomping grounds. I had a great time diving at Gerstle, thanks for the help with the equipment!

Tessa

It is not a spot that people often dive at due to visibility. Also, a lot of people fish there, which leads to entanglement hazards. Having said that, ZKY had a good time diving there and I have been planning to check it out myself. I think it is more of a been there, done that dive than anything else.[/QUOTE]

Tessa, I am putting together a group in November, I will post details as the time gets closer, I hope to have a good group of people there for some diving, some fishing, and lots of feasting on fresh crab. I believe ZKY and myself are about the only ones who have dove Bodega, but it all depends on what you are looking for whether you will like it or not. PM me if you want more details.

ZKY:
BTW, we need to get out to the "Rock" soon, or a least get another crack at it!

ZKY

I think Labor Day weekend would be good. Give me a ring next week.

tomboytoo:
Hey, I didn't realize it was you! Thanks for the advice, does that mean you and your family might join our group? Peter is looking into asking someone who works at the Lab if we can get some advice on where to dive, maybe even get permission to dive in the reserve. I'm hearing a lot about great whites, so maybe we need to head back north to our old stomping grounds. I had a great time diving at Gerstle, thanks for the help with the equipment!

QUOTE]

Yep, I figured it was you. It was fun diving with you, Brian and Peter. I think for a weekend trip, up North would be better. What about Mendocino?

Hey guys.. I'm planning on going to Doran park for a couple days (probably Mar 26-28) and was curious if anyone is interested in freediving along the jetties? I grew up in Petaluma, and have been out to Doran countless times, always wanted to swim along and pick up a few crab rings and hopefully a few stray crabs. I've read about the outer jetty (one not accessible from Doran side) and would also be interested in this.

Yeah I think I've posted on that one quite a bit. At the end of the northern jetty its about 20-23 feet deep but the current is pulling pretty good most of the time. Its just sand until you get right to the rocks. Not many legal abalone floating around those rocks and really not as many hoop nets as you may think, although I have pulled a few out. I had one good day at the end of crabbing season where my buddy and I both limited out on male dungies but every other time anyone else I have been with we have maybe only come out with 1 or 2 each. You will likely see a legal ling or two on the rocks between the wheel and the end of the jetty. I even saw an angelshark at the end there once. Watch for fishing lines when paddling out. Dungies can be found in the patches of eelgrass in about 15 feet of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom