Bocas del Toro in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richardbrown77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone had experience of diving Bocas del Toro in Panama in June? I am reading it's the start of the rainy season? Is it enough to ruin diving typically or is it just a shower in June typically?

Also, I have a son who will be 15 months old in June. Is it a good place to take a 15 month old or would you advise against it?

If this year is typical, you can expect brief (20 to 30 minutes) of very heavy rainstorms, particularly in the afternoons. I have dove Bocas in mid-May and we had a few heavy rainstorms. I don't know what it takes to ruin diving for you, but you can still see a lot of interesting, unique fish and beautiful coral while the rain is pelting the surface. Fortunately, it's Panama, so it's a warm rain. However, you might want to have a windbreaker for the boat ride back to the shop.

In June 2007, July 2008 and May 2009, my wife and I dove at Portobelo and didn't get a drop of rain. (The visibility was nice, too.) A few days on either end of when we were diving could have been totally different. For that matter, at any time in Panama there can be rain. As my good Panamanian friend Joaquín says, "There are two kinds of weather in Panama; rain or no rain. And, there are two seasons; hot or nice."

As for your son, Bocas is just as good or just as bad as anywhere else in Panama. It's going to be very warm and extremely humid no matter where you are on either coast. Keep that in mind and be prepared to fight diaper rash. The food and water are safe all over the country. I would recommend talking with your doctor about things like sun block and insect repellent. While malaria and dengue fever are rare in Bocas, Portobelo, the ex-Canal Zone and Panama City, it is something that should be considered with one so young. Also, if you're thinking about flying to Bocas, the regional turboprops can be rough on a little guy's ears.

I don't mean to sound like a doomsayer, but if you embark on the trip prepared, you and your son will probably have a wonderful time. Buen viaje.

Grant was right on the money as far as rain. We typically get short but heavy rainfall in June. For the most part, it does not interfere with our diving. It is usually the "all day" torrential rains (like we usually get in November) which impede visibility. Expect approximately 30 fee t of visibility, flat calm seas, with no current. We have over 90 species of coral, over 140 species of fish, and over 200 species of non-coral invertebrates (crab, lobster, shrimp, anemones, octopus, squid, nudibranchs, etc.). We do not have a lot of "big" critters, so if you are looking for sharks, turtles, mantas, you might be disappointed. I like seeing the little stuff, so i always enjoy every one of my dives here in Bocas.

Many ex-pats have young kids here and they all seem to thrive. It is warm and it is humid, but it is a healthy climate. Definitely avoid drinking the city water, but this is good advice for adults and children.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom