Bobbers vs depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone brought along a gopro bobber/float arm on deeper dives? I am considering to balance my rig (trust me, it's heavy...) with 2 cheap pieces from ebay, the question is,
where these things implode/loose +buoyancy?

Take a look at Stix buoyancy floats. I had one for my wide angle lens. They hold their buoyancy at depth. Adding buoyancy adds bulk and is generally limited to 1-1.5 pounds.

If the weight you are trying offset is the battery canister we talked about in the other thread, I still think the best option is to move the canister to your waist or chest. It can make entering/exiting the water more difficult, but adding 2 pounds or more of buoyancy to your rig is going to be very very difficult. Do you know how much weight you are trying to offset ?

Here is a pic of me with my halogen light setup. Battery canister is on my hip.

tumblr_n4g1nvMQ3o1tzdfcbo1_1280.jpg

I have to see if the cabling is long enough, btw yes, its mostly the canister. However, my camera gear (10bar housing for E-PL5 & 2xs2000 strobes) is also heavy. that definitely needs floats,
I'll look around.

Topside (bathroom scale). With the floats it's slightly positive on the surface and neutral at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom