Bob Hollis has passed, founder of Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I just received an email from Bernie Campoli that Bob Hollis passed away on 4 January 2023.

Bob was a mentor and friend.

What a special friend and mentor. Will
20060325a 103.jpg
miss his smile.

That is an impressive list of accomplishments. Do any of his businesses remain in family hands or were they all sold off to Huish?

That is an impressive list of accomplishments. Do any of his businesses remain in family hands or were they all sold off to Huish?
I *think* that Huish didn’t want the younger Hollis’ gig, the tech diving side, the rebreathers and scooters, etc.

What a life. Alhamdulillah.

Sad to read this, but I knew of Bob's failing health for a few years now. We were hoping he would plan the excavation requirements/logistics for our underwater archaeology projects in Greece for the deeper wrecks. We just couldn't move fast enough.

My first encounter with Bob was actually his old shop in Monterey back in 2014. I hired a dive guide from his shop. He took one look at me as we were heading out. "Your [Apeks] regs are shiit!" That still cracks me up.

The scuba world lost a legend.

May his memory be eternal.

Edit: fun fact when Jacques Cousteau blew up part of the rim of the blue hole in Belize to bring in the Calypso, Bob was testing some equipment, most likely housing, when all this coral started falling on his head. This was shared to me by a friend of Bob's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom