Boats and Bannnnannnas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So im running a dive boat today to help a friend out who wanted to jump out of a perfectly good airplane for his Bday as opposed to jumping off a perfectly good boat.
The first dive was a nightmare! Boats lined up for the moorings everywhere. We finaly find and empty one and get tied off. 8 divers including 2 DM/Inst. First one guy can't get down as his inflator was stuck open and he was blowing air. I get him back out and fixed up and back into the water. ABout 15 minutes into a 85 foot dive, I have someone on the surface. He gets on board and tells me his reg is breathing hard. I point out that may be becouse his SPG says 0! Turns out it was breathing hard too even with air in a new tank. Right behind him is another on the surfaace. He had a panic attack. Near 500 dives and he lost it! Now two more are at the surface one with 200 lbs of air. I finaly get everyone back onboard. I had to ask, "who has the bananna?" One guy fessed up to a bananna peel and one to having two bannanas on board. Over they went, not the divers. We then went on to two awsome dives with no problems.
Hate to sound superstitious (sp, ya I know I cant spell) but Im telling ya, it's true, no banannas on boats, it's just bad. I can't even eat one before going fishing or I get skunked and that never happens.

LOL, I hadn't heard about bananas on boats, before. I'll have to remember that.

At work, I don't allow fellow officers or dispatchers say that it's "boring", "quiet", "dead" or anything similar. When those words are used to describe how the day's been going, I can count on the proverbial **** hitting the fan before it's over.

It's a very old and well known sailors ledgend. Started with the bananna boats sinking all the time.

Bananas are bad on fishing boats too. Wildcard, there is no such thing as a perfectly good plane...:wink:

Wow, finally I hear it from another source besides the captain of the dive boat I frequent.

Diver Dennis:
Bananas are bad on fishing boats too. Wildcard, there is no such thing as a perfectly good plane...:wink:
Like I said, I can't even eat one or I get skunked fishing.

There was a well known racing yacht around these parts about 25 years ago named "Bananas." It had a great record of victories in major regattas. The owner never considered it to be a cursed name.

Come to think of it, maybe my kid and I will dive its wreck this week.

ItsBruce:
There was a well known racing yacht around these parts about 25 years ago named "Bananas." It had a great record of victories in major regattas. The owner never considered it to be a cursed name.

Come to think of it, maybe my kid and I will dive its wreck this week.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh...I thought that was a South Pacific thing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom