Boat traffic Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had a great dive with Pura Vida Divers yesterday. Dived Shark Valley and the Cooridor. Mild current, 78F water, 50 viz. Getting back to the boat after the cooridor caused a bit of fear for my Buddy and I. When we were poised to be picked up, Cpt Mike had to abort in order to block two speeding boats which were headed for the diving area. Having witnessed the death of a man (not a diver but a person in the water)) in the inlet, by two boats, two weeks ago, it was a bit nerve wracking. Two many unqualified persons at the helm in these waters on the weekend. Kudos to Cpt Mike for being such a skilled Captain. Great operation (Pura Vida Divers).

Two many unqualified persons at the helm in these waters on the weekend. Kudos to Cpt Mike for being such a skilled Captain. Great operation (Pura Vida Divers).
That’s the truth. Lots of people behind the helm that have no business being there. Good that you had a skilled captain to keep you safe.

Thanks for the conditions report and glad you guys are safe!!

Here in the upper keys some mistake a dive flag for the checkered flag

Stories like that make me wish there was an equivalent to the Javelin anti-tank missile (aka the Poseidon anti-boat torpedo).

@Catito I was almost on that charter. I was booked with Pura Vida the entire day and decided to do Blue Heron Bridge Saturday morning instead. I was on the boat Saturday afternoon with Captain Mike. I’ve only been on a few trips with him but I’ve been incredibly impressed.

Capt. Mike is one of the best dive boat captains around. He's a real Florida dive boat captain. Grew up in Florida and has been diving these waters since he was a kid. He used to run one of the Black Flag Charters dive boats before he came to PVD. Great captain and a great guy in general.

I always say the most dangerous part of the dive is when you're floating around on the surface. Hence why I carry a big 7' tree trunk of an SMB. Glad no one was injured. Gotta keep your head on a swivel diving in PBC sometimes.

Dive Boats in Palm Beach County often scatter divers over a mile across the reef. Often times it is not possible to stay close to their divers. There are times when flags are hardly visible, or divers solely rely on a sausage upon surfacing. Seems to me (or at least on my boat) the capt. will position the vessel between the divers and any oncoming boat traffic. As far as diving/swimming/snorkeling IN the inlet, well.... that's just not safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom