Boat : research/ opinions / advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guys,
I'm looking to get a dive boat, but since i'm a total newbie to that, i would appreciate any information for self education first.
what i'm looking to get is an inflatable boat ( light to be able to tow it around if needed wo help of huge track ), low maintenance on engines and boat itself. It should be capable of carrying around 12 divers + captain. Capable of handling regular waves - not going to rocket in it.
As of right now i'm looking at Zodiac Hurricane.

thank you.

Is that one 22 feet long. I am sure it could carry the load but 12 divers and equiptment in a 22 foot boat is going to be a wee bit crowded.

12 divers and crew is a tall order period...for a 22' inflatable...I don't think it's possible. Keep on looking, perhaps you will find something we have not thought of. 12 divers on 35' dive boat with swimplatform is packed.

--Matt

I don't think your going to cram 12 divers plus equipment in a 22 footer, especially an inflatable which are typically cramped inside due to the tubes. Maybe if you had three of those Hurricanes you could carry twelve divers, four in each one. For t hat number of divers you would need a 30 plus footer, inboard.

Boats and low maintenance don't belong in the same sentence---lol. Even after owning several boats and my parents several small boats I am reminded everytime we get the Whaler ready to go, money, time, wrenches, hammers, cursing, various troubleshooting manuals and at least one argument with a boat dealer/service center somewhere. Usually no fist fights involved, usually.

Oh, BTW, a 22 foot twin engined RIB is going to set you back some cash, will have no resale save for the engines and aside from the Coast Guard, nobody is going to think much of your rubber boat. I know this because I am a rubber-er, uh, boater-er myself--lol.

This Novurania owned since about 84 ish or so is about 14 feet. We have used engines of 15 to 50 horsepower on it. I have carried four divers and tanks. Pile the tanks in the floor and sit on them. Throw the gear bags and dry bags on top and use them as pillows. As long as your not going to far.

DSCF0469.jpg

Sorry I don't have an action shot handy, I have many on slides but just never felt like digging through dusty boxes and finding them. In rough water you need to be able to stand up, regardless of the type of boat. As you can see, in this size boat that is not possible. I steer it using the wheel and sit on the side, the other passengers lay on the equipment or sit on the tubes as well. It is bouncy, wet, rough, takes true grit.

N

Nemrod,

I can't believe you didn't try to get him to buy a Whaler! :)

captain:
Is that one 22 feet long. I am sure it could carry the load but 12 divers and equiptment in a 22 foot boat is going to be a wee bit crowded.

I'm not quite sure why you guys a re talking about 22 feet model only. This is where i looked for some specs . And, for example, the 920 OB seems to be capable of carrying 30A+OC ( not sure what does that mean ), but i "translate" this as "30 people".

850 OB 28'0" / 8.53m - 27 people.

What am i missing in the picture ?

To Nemrod :
The Novurania - is obviously is not going to make it :).
How much cash are we talking about here? 10-30-50-100

To matt_unique :
hmm. i'm not sure about 12 ppl on 35feet as being packed. Let's see - the regular boat with 6 + 2 crew in Cozumel .. For example here they have 35 for 12 and 28 for 8.
I haven't been to 35 feet models with 12 ppl on board. But 28' models are packed with 6 divers. With 4 they are perfect.
So i can start with assumption that i need 3 & 1/2 feet/pp. Making it packed - 35 for 12.
Ok. Now if "drop off" 2 divers and make a task as :
What should be a length of the boat for 10 divers + 2 crew?
having 3 1/2 pd ( per diver ).
it _seems_ that 35 feet long boat _might_ be the answer.

At the same time Apple's boats :
A modern design, 44 foot Sea Ray -> 28
Queen Angel and John'y - 27 for 7 divers plus 2 crew.
-------------

thinking over again... it seems that, the numbers I came up with, look not too far from true.

Now. Let's review 2 options:
1. 35 feet long vessel capable of carrying 9 divers +2 crew
2. 27 feet long vessel capable of carrying 6 + 2
// i'm removing one diver to make the ride comfortable.

What options in manufators/models i will have, having said that i want the boat to be light so i can tow it around wo monster truck?
also, what engines do i need to look at ?

Thank you

I would guess that that 30' model with twin 200 HP engines (needed for that much load)will be near or above 100K. A plain Jane civilian 21 footer with one 115 O/B is 40K. You are looking at military spec equipment, mocho denaro. Also in the equation is what type of water you plan on operating on, what kind of fuel range do you need. Their is no one boat good for all uses. RIB's are really good at handling big waters, even small ones, but foot for foot they are more expensive than conventional boats.

The maximum capacity of boat in people and gear is not the operating capacity. I don't care if it says the 22 footer can carry 30 people, the fact of the matter is in practical terms it cannot.

CON8IV, I did not try to sell him a Whaler because while I like them there are plenty of other boats out there--as long as they are center consoles---lol--which the inflatables often are in this size range. A 32 foot Boston Whaler Outrage is going to run between 180,000 dollars and 200,000. Since I have never considered buying anything like that I have no idea if they will bargain or not---!!!!

flying.jpg

(not our boat but it is a small BW Outrage)

Not huge truck pulling our not huge Whaler:
DSCF0961.jpg

How much, well, 150,000 dollars ought to do it, remember, in the USA of Amurika, those rubber boats will get no respect and no resale. The Zodiac Pro Open with a 150 horse engine is priced at 41,000 dollars and is 21 feet long and has a max capacity of 11 passengers if they sit on each other. The larger military duty units with twin engines really could run up to 150,000 dollars. In fact, believe it or not, that will barely get you into a larger Whaler, boats are VERY expensive, about the only thing that costs more are airplanes. Of course, some clever shopping on an older hull, a rebuild and refit could get you going for much, much less.

OK, your not going to be able to carry 20 to 30 divers with two tanks each and tow it behind a non-huge truck, sorry to burst your bubble.

A 200 horse engine, Yamaha, Honda or Mercury is going to run you 15,000 dollars each, rigging is extra.

Let me give you something to think about, a typical small boat like ours carries 60 to 120 gallons of fuel. Our engine burns about 6 gallons per hour or more. Twin 200s would burn about 9 GPM each. I have a lot of stock in an oil company--lol--do you?

You might look into something roomy like this:

0525071730-01.jpg

Just kidding.

Some of those boats in the links above are panga-ish. You either like pangas or you don't, I don't. Check these out, the 28 footer for example, www.pangamarine.com .

Are you planning to carry divers for hire, you will need a USCG Captains certificate, the boat will have to meet regular inspections etc and there will be lot's of insurance.

Also, none of the boats in those links in your post can be towed by a small truck--as you asked --huge truck will be required and over width permits also.

Buying a giant rubber boat would be like doing this to your money:

DSCF0002.jpg

N

Tell your 12 buddies to buy boats and have them take you out. Tell them you will pay for gas. New to diving? Buy a Zodiac Mark 3 14'9" Inflatable it will be around 4000 dollars and if your good to it it will last 10 to 12 years after that Landfill. There great for two people and you can do four. Start small and work your way up.

I would guess that that 30' model with twin 200 HP engines (needed for that much load)will be near or above 100K.

Sorry to revive this old thread... I just stumbled across it. I was wondering what the OP did about a boat.

I own a 19'6" Hurricane with a 150 on it. Replacement cost is about $120K with some electronics.

The 30' model, with twin 200s will run upwards of $300K with a few toys.

My boat is my favorite toy, and it is ideal for a couple of divers and a tender. In the UK they use RIBs extensively for diving, but from what I can see, dive clubs using these things "kit up" before leaving the dock to minimize space concerns.

12 divers in a 22' RIB would be impossible unless everyone is suited up before leaving the dock. Forget it if you have a a few techies in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom