Boat lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstrdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know where I can get a red / white / red marker lite for my boat ? I would like to do a few night dives but want my boat to glow in the dark. Or ....Has anyone made one of these

I'd check with the local authorities as lighting for boats is regulated by the Coast Guard and State laws. The lighting requirements are based on length, type of craft, and whether moving or anchored.

COLREGS and Inland Rules require you to display three lights, colored red, white, red visible all around in a vertical line whenever you are engaged in underwater activities and are "restricted in the ability to maneuver." You should check the cfr's for the light requirements for your boat. If my memory is correct, the lights must be spaced 1 meter apart, vertically. They must be visible either one mile or two miles away, depending on the length of your vessel. When I assembled the lights for my boat I was unable to find any "all around" red lights. I bought white lights instead and wrapped red tape around them. I went to an auto supply store and bought tape that was intended to be used for the repair of brake lights. It works well but degrades over time and needs to be replaced about every five years.

My boat is a big trawler and has a large steel mast. That made mounting the lights easy. I assembled the light system using ordinary rigid couduit and outdoor electrical boxes and strapped it to the leading edge of the boat's mast.

Dale and Bouyant, What I am refferring to is the red , white , red dive light. Displayed vertically to indicate a nite dive . I have my running lights per Coast Guard regs. Maybe I'm worring too much.

Dale and Bouyant, What I am refferring to is the red , white , red dive light. Displayed vertically to indicate a nite dive . I have my running lights per Coast Guard regs. Maybe I'm worring too much.

Capt Dale has it right..the red/wht /red light in vertical position as explained by Capt Dale is the way to go if you are displaying lights to indicate uw ops in progress/restricted ability to manuver.
You have navigation lights,not running lights. Red/green on bow,white light with only visible light towards stern when making way and a 360 light when anchored at night.Again all configurations of said lights depends on size of vessel.

Reading this brings up a question? If you are at anchor with divers the all around white should be okay right? I'm assuming you would only need the red white red if the boat was moving along with divers, like a drift dive. Althought drift diving with a boat at night seems like a very difficult endevor to me.

On second thought, I answered my question. Even at anchor you would not want other boats to approach with 300 feet at least in Ohio. Never mind. I also read the federal reg. on the lights. It only applies to boats over 36 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom