Boat crew setting kit up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:hijack: Yeah, what is with those guys? Is there some ancient tradition of kings not removing paper towels from their dispensers or waving their hands in front of motion detector soap dispensers? They creep me out too.

:zen:

They are there so people don't have sex in the bathrooms and to plunge toilets. They probably don't care about you and definitely are not there to wipe your butt.

They are there so people don't have sex in the bathrooms and to plunge toilets. They probably don't care about you and definitely are not there to wipe your butt.

Well that explains why you find them in NYC ... people have sex in the bathrooms there because hotel rooms are so expensive ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a firm believer in the "1 man (or woman), 1 Kit" philosophy, but maybe thats just my military backround. People in general should take responsibility for their actions, if your tank falls off when you jump in, it's pretty much your own fault no matter who set it up. As a certified Diver from any agency, you are expected to be able to setup your equipment and/or inspect it (with buddy) if someone else has done it for you.

That being said... I have noticed on the few trips I have been on that there are a lot of ppl out there that hop on a boat without any clue as to what they are doing. IMO, trained boat staff should be ready to assist these individuals by walking them through the process, using a hands-on approach only when absolutely required.

One last piece of wisdom I have been taught: "Never pass a fault". If you see someone doing something completely A** backwards, either get the attention of the staff or help that person out. Who knows, you might have just saved that persons life.

As far as the original post goes, I think there are only 2 options: Do not offer setup or have only trained staff setup the equipment, plain and simple.

This is probably valid with regard to the attendants in nightclub lavatories--keep the cocaine use discreet and limit the stalls to one person at a time. If you dine at, say, Le Bernardin, you are paying as much for dinner as you would for a decent (NYC) hotel room; there the attendant's job is to keep the urinals filled with ice, mostly. You wouldn't want to pee into a room-temperature urinal, would you? :D

I don't understand why anyone would want someone else to set up their life support equipment.
With similar sentiment to that expressed by another poster, I fly on planes built & piloted by others, am often a passenger in cars hurtling down the highway at 70+ assembled and driven by other people, and so on.

That said, I value being able to assemble my own gear, I think occasionally doing so to keep in practice is a good thing, and I breathe off my reg. & shoot some air in my BCD before leaving the boat regardless of who set my gear up.

I really like the convenience of having my gear set up for me on charter boats, and my wife loves it. I'm a bit slow with motor skills and not high on initiative, and environments where the boat stops and 'everybody quickly gear up' scenarios ensure is distasteful to me, though I may cope with it fine.

In Bonaire, when I'm not surrounded by strangers or feeling at all rushed, gearing up is not particularly bothersome.

Richard.

:confused: Not Really???? you're joking right?..... what's the point :confused:
No joke, they keep a pile of ice cubes in the bottom of each urinal--the old style porcelain urinals that go to the floor. I assume it's to inhibit odor.

No joke, they keep a pile of ice cubes in the bottom of each urinal--the old style porcelain urinals that go to the floor. I assume it's to inhibit odor.

That's really weird.. I don't know why it would inhibit odor, but I could see how it would promote splashing!

That's really weird.. I don't know why it would inhibit odor, but I could see how it would promote splashing!
The vapor pressure of any substance is lower at lower temperatures, so the ice would inhibit the evaporation of urine. You can easily confirm this by going into a poorly maintained public bathroom in the winter and again in the summer. Splashing is a function of aim, mostly, and ice cubes probably do make a tempting target for the gamers out there. :wink:

For what it's worth, the ice is also used as a potential "no need to flush" type of thing and can be used as a water saver. Doesn't work very well for that since it only lasts a short while and people mostly still flush anyway so I suspect Vladimir's explanation is more to the original thought process behind it.

Back
Top Bottom