DIR- Generic BM Twin Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the US that excludes Apeks and Scubapro...

I had a tec45 student a couple of years ago who had Apeks regs. He had an otherwise minor oring problem which could not be resolved and ended up never finishing the course.

Apeks MTX-RC (I'm a baller option)
Apeks DST with 5th ports and XTX50 2nd stages (I'm ballin' on a budget)

I'm currently running Apeks TEK3s on my doubles setup. They're solid, reliable and also heavy regs, but I wish there was a little cleaner hose routing. A few hoses have a slightly weird bend, but that sorta can be mitigated by rotating the 1st stage a little bit.

Here’s what I consider to be good hose routing. It allows full hand access to all three knobs. Minimal hose stress. My preference is to run the drysuit hose, if one is used, off of the right post.

607EFD23-DD5F-4551-8D00-3882013AEF1B.jpeg
D71D5A29-37C5-4194-B65B-AF078430A7B7.jpeg
5902E2DE-1CD9-4F82-B0BB-2873D15AD065.jpeg

I'm happy with my dual Apeks XTX50/DST (5th port option) that came from their sidemount kit. The 5th ports are used for the necklace and for the BCD. You can angle the first stages downwards so the hoses off the 5th ports tuck in against the BCD and the side ports angle out, which works to direct the other hoses along the side of the BP/W.

Left post has SPG and drysuit hose. Right post has long hose and there is just enough room for my Shearwater AI sender to screw in directly (there will be interference if I try to crank the turret around 360 degrees which can't happen while diving, but no issue for swiveling while deploying the long hose). The AI connection is a hard one, but is pointed downwards so it's less of a snag hazard. I've mentally debated putting the AI unit on a short hose (as at least one of my buddies does) versus the extra hose connection failure point.

On the Tek3s the hoses direct downwards and need to bend at right angles against the BP/W, especially the necklace and BCD, but keeps them out of the way. The DST setup keeps the BCD and necklace hoses higher up, but still behind the manifold and has straighter hoses, which is good enough for me.

Obviously reconfiguring the kit will allow me to do sidemount and I've also used it for DIR singles, so the flexibility of this setup seems higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom