bluebuddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got an email from Leisurepro about the blue buddy. I just wanted to hear you guys' thoughts about it. I always thought it would be great if a dive computer would have this bluetooth sync profiles to phone dive app (and maybe a couple do this?) but anyhow... just throwing it out it there:

bluebuddy is a wireless data logger that allows a scuba diver to easily - and quickly - import dive logs into a smartphone and share them with friends: attach bluebuddy to your BCD, go diving, retrieve the log using your smartphone, post the log on social sites.

bluebuddy uses the new Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology (BLE), has an integrated battery that will last several years and has a depth rating of 40m / 140ft.
For the Tech Divers that go beyond the recreational limits we have created techBuddy; its housing was designed in collaboration with Deep Sea Supply (a California company specialized in creating injection molding products for scuba divers) and uses a manufacturing process that offers a depth rating of 130m / 400ft.
Pre-order your bluebuddy on Kickstarter and be the first to show off Blue Buddy on the boat or at the dive site!
Offer will be processed through Kickstart/Amazon and shipped directly by DiveNav, Inc.

bluebuddy - Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 LE scuba diving logger by DiveNav, Inc. ? Kickstarter

I got an email from Leisurepro about the blue buddy. I just wanted to hear you guys' thoughts about it. I always thought it would be great if a dive computer would have this bluetooth sync profiles to phone dive app (and maybe a couple do this?) but anyhow... just throwing it out it there:

bluebuddy is a wireless data logger that allows a scuba diver to easily - and quickly - import dive logs into a smartphone and share them with friends: attach bluebuddy to your BCD, go diving, retrieve the log using your smartphone, post the log on social sites.

bluebuddy uses the new Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology (BLE), has an integrated battery that will last several years and has a depth rating of 40m / 140ft.
For the Tech Divers that go beyond the recreational limits we have created techBuddy; its housing was designed in collaboration with Deep Sea Supply (a California company specialized in creating injection molding products for scuba divers) and uses a manufacturing process that offers a depth rating of 130m / 400ft.
Pre-order your bluebuddy on Kickstarter and be the first to show off Blue Buddy on the boat or at the dive site!
Offer will be processed through Kickstart/Amazon and shipped directly by DiveNav, Inc.

bluebuddy - Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 LE scuba diving logger by DiveNav, Inc. ? Kickstarter

Unless I'm missing something, what does this provide that my trusty dive computer already does not?

Unless I'm missing something, what does this provide that my trusty dive computer already does not?

Nothing...But if you have a simple computer like me, a Veo 1.0 then it could give provide interesting information without spending $400 plus on a different computer that has those functions...

Most divers already have a computer that's PC interface compatible or have a PC interface, so I'd think the market for this would be small.

Last edited:
Most divers already have a computer that's PC interface compatible or have a PC interface, so I'd think the market for this would be small.

OTOH the computer interface on my Veo computers really suck. If I was a dedicated detailed dive-logger, I'd be interested.

Agreed. A number of computer interfaces suck big time. And that's when they work at all. The info that the blue buddy provides not only can be used as a back up to your dive computer but for those of us who do not recommend dive computers to new divers it has other advantages.
1. Plan your dive on tables then compare that dive with the info recorded.
2. Curious as to how your buoyancy is coming along? Then use your analog gauges over a swim or just swim and try to hold position without a reference relying on how your body feels. Then download the info and see.
3. Not many computers out there use bluetooth for downloading. My SHearwater does and it makes things so damn easy? No stupid cable to hook up, cradle to buy and set the thing in, and the small size makes it very portable.

And yes I have been asked to consider becoming a dealer. So let's just get that out there now.

My wife (a non-diver) asked me what I thought of it. I think she is fishing for birthday presents. I said it looks interesting. It would give me a lot of information that my current computer doesn't. Also I think it would be great for people that don't have their own gear that dive on holiday and want to log details of their dives. I was also thinking it would be useful as a training aid as Jim described.

I pledged on one because I like the idea of being able to pull my data up on my iPhone back on the boat, look through it and post it online should I want to. It's inexpensive, small, a great backup and more likely to make it somewhere I'd look at it after the dive instead of having to sync my current computer with my computer over an IR plug and crappy desktop software. Will it replace my primary? Definitely not because I like to see my depth/time during a dive. Will it be the computer whose data I look at more after a dive? Probably.

Before I got my luna for Christmas I was using an old oceanic data plus with no interface. This would have been a nice addition, instead now I have a comp that is more expensive than most of my gear, literally. Gack!

But then again I wouldn't have this brand spanking new expensive computer. But what was I thinking? If I can't afford an expensive computer I should not be diving. LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom