Blue Water - Drive, Not Fly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this one, so here we go.

Is there a place to go Blue-water diving, that is a day or two drive from Dallas? I'm not fond of flying, but don't mind the open road. My girlfriend just certified, and I'd love to take her somewhere salty and go diving. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Charley

CharleyT:

Is there a place to go Blue-water diving, that is a day or two drive from Dallas? I'm not fond of flying, but don't mind the open road. My girlfriend just certified, and I'd love to take her somewhere salty and go diving. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Charley

If you are refering to saltwater diving--- yep. Florida panhandle offers quit a bit of saltwater adventures (sorta greenish-but clear with good vis) on the gulf side. Or hit the east side of Florida for ocean diving....further north you go water tint is brownish but clear and good vis. Corpus Christi//Padri Island Texas has some dive opps...

texdiveguy:
If you are refering to saltwater diving--- yep. Florida panhandle offers quit a bit of saltwater adventures (sorta greenish-but clear with good vis) on the gulf side. Or hit the east side of Florida for ocean diving....further north you go water tint is brownish but clear and good vis. Corpus Christi//Padri Island Texas has some dive opps...

Exactly what I'm thinking of. Do you have a place in the panhandle you've been to before? To be honest, looking for a long weekend, or week-long trip down there, with a few days of diving. I'd like to see if I can find something that offers more diving than a cruise, at about the same, or less cost.

Same goes for Padre, if you know of folks, would appreciate the input.

Charley

I've only dove out of the Florida panhandle a couple of times. Used an op. (can't remember the name) that Diver's Den dive shop in Pensacola uses. We left out of Gulf Breeze and did the Liberty Shipwrecks, Tex Edwards Barge, the Timberholes for two dives (lobstering), and the Lost Tug. The vis. was only about 10-15 ft. at that time, lowest was about 4 ft. at the Liberty Shipwrecks, but Hurricane Danny had went through the area about a week before (July 1997) and there was a lot of run-off. The Lost Tug vis. was 30-40 ft., and I've been told that is about usual for the other areas that were supposedly murky due to the run-off.

Ya might p.m. Dee if she doesn't chime in soon, her and Doug go out of Panama City some, vis. about 30-40 ft. there also I think.

There's Copeland's for rig trips in Corpus Christi, $149.95 per diver.
http://www.copelandsinc.com/

And American Diving in South Padre for rig trips, although that may not be the best thing for a newly certified diver.
http://www.divesouthpadre.com/

CharleyT:

Charley

Head on over the Destin or Panama City Florida during the off season. The rates are not to bad and the water sure is pretty.

The Flower Gardens and Stetson Bank are awesome and easy to get to. Drive straight down 45 to Freeport ( about 5 hours) and you can take two to three day trips with anywhere from 7 to 11 dives in beautiful, 80 plus foot vis salt water. Might even get in a oil rig dive! Pricing is approximately $380- $505 per trip and includes diving, meals, and a bunk. It is at http://www.gulf-diving.com or you can try the Sea Searcher at http://www.seasearcherii.com/ . Gulf diving has Nitrox and the Sea Searcher does not. I prefer diving Nitrox on repetitive deep dives so that's why I dive with Gulf Diving. Have fun and dive safe!
I have just edited my post because I realized you said your girlfriend just got certified. The gulf can be challenging and may not be the best choice for a new diver. I have lead trips where we have had new divers out there ( about 25 dives) and they were very confident and ready to go. Comfort in your gear, mask clearing, deep dives, and confidence will need to be in good supply for a trip like this. Have fun!

When we need salt, we usually head to Panama City, FL. In the past we've used Hydrospace, Panama City Dive Center and a couple of smaller shops without websites. We haven't used them but friends of ours highly recommend MBT Divers out of Pensacola. The Florida panhandle makes a good long weekend trip.

From our house just east of Houston, we can be in Panama city in about 10-11 hours. About the same time as it takes to get to Balmorhea in West Texas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom