Blue Springs (Orange City) report 7/24/2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All -

I was in Blue Springs today with a friend. Nice dive as always.

Crappy vis, maybe 20 feet. Water temp of 72F. Max depth of around 85 feet.

There were 2 classes there. A good many divers in the water.

I was there to check out my little HP80 doubles and new turtles. My friend has been dry for a bit over a year, and this was a checkout dive for him.

First dive went well enough. The warning sign is still missing from the cavern zone.

The HP80s sit differently than the 104s. Took some getting used to. Much easier to carry!

The turtles are more flexible than my rockets. They need slower, smaller movements. Very nice for a modified frog. They felt weird backing up. Took a while to get used to the new sensation.

My friend was diving a DR Transplate. He bought it just before he stopped diving. It was a really messy first dive for him. Trim was way off.

We dialed the plate in during our SI. He had it way too high on his back and he did not have a crotch strap. We fixed all that, and he felt a lot better about the fit of his gear.

2nd dive went well. His trim was quite good this time. Better air consumption too.

I inflated my DS and drifted down the spring run like the michelin man. Very nice and very relaxing.

Peter

Glad to hear you had a nice day at Blue Spring SP. I set a personal newbie record depth there a few weeks ago with NetDoc watching over me.

Post a trip some time and you'll get some SB divers to join you !

Hey, we just missed you. We (me, my hubby "Murphdivers286",Simbrooks and NetDoc <--he was with some ducks) were there just last Wednesday (21st I think).. I'll give ya'll credit for diving in that spring....... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! We only saw a few fish on our way downstream and a ton of cold chickies.

Crappy vis @ 20 feet? what would it be normally? (only ever been there once)

I haven't been to the Spring for about a month.
Back then the water in the river was down to about 18" in some areas. Since all of the rain I wonder if the river is up? It makes for a much nicer river drift.

Pdoege,

Was viz bad due to divers or nature?

There was the typical crap that the newer divers were kicking up, but that was not an issue.

I think the summer warmth and sunlight, combined with the rain, is conspiring to promote algae growth.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom