Blue Lagoon Review 5/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OUTHOUSE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Blue Lagoon Report for Saturday 5/16.

Blue lagoon is located on 45 exit 123 just north of huntsville.

Going north we turned right and followed down a black top road that turns into gravel within the first 2 miles. The park is located on the left with gate that is painted like a dive flag on the left hand side (if you are heading east). Look carefully there are no clear signs as you approach the park. In fact it seems like you are going in the wrong direction.

The park currently has a dusty parking lot that is currently under grading construction.

There are two small structures on the left as you enter the park. As we got out of our vehicles we were me by Phil and his family. I was immediately struck by how positive the demeanor of the family was and the overall general good attitude of park.

Entry fee was $18 (which to me seems reasonable) and $8 for air fills (to me seems high). You have a choice of two lagoons 1 or 2. We chose # 1 and did not have the opportunity to dive # 2. We were given a map of the area as well as entry points named "beaches" from which to drop off and set up your dive gear and walk into the lagoon. We proceeded to "gorilla beach # 6".

As we drove toward our dive site I was impressed by how scenic the park is. It really is a very good looking park.

We arrived at our site. There is awning with picknick table that is elevated from the ground. Perfect to pull your truck up to in order to unload equipment. After unloading our equipment. I eargerly anticipated getting into the water before more people came and possibly clouded up the visibility.

After "gearing up" we walked to the water. The water was a nice 78 degrees. I immediatley struck by the clarity of the water. We began our descent.

Water visibily was approximately 40'. There are a number of ships strewn throughout the lagoon as well as several platforms. We found five or six sunken ships in the lagoon. They are really intresting ships with some minor penetration available. Max depth was 30' There is little to look at between ships. There are only some very small fish in the lagoon.

Throughout the day we dove (3) hour + dives. Really enjoyed the visibilty. Water become more cloudy as the day proceeded. Rain and thunder came around 5pm (originally we had planned on having a night dive).

Overall the park was great experience. Phil and his family did a great job of running the park. It is my understanding that the lagoon is under new ownership. I look forward to the ongoing improvement of the facilities.

We stayed at a hotel in Huntsville but I believe camping would be good. There are readily available port-o-johns although, there is no running water throughout the park. Snacks are available for reasonble prices including; drinks, candy, sandwiches etc..... There is plenty of room between dive groups.

Thanks to Phil and his family for the hospitality. I look forward to returning in a few weeks with more people.

Last edited:
Outhouse,

Thanks for the write up. We enjoy being out there and visiting with all the divers. I need to correct you on that entry fee. Its only $16.00 If you got charged extra let me know. I will make it up to you on your next visit.

We had a pretty hard rain Saturday night. The roads got pretty mushy but hardened up quickly.
The dozer was back at work Monday.

Just curious, We are contemplating digging a water well. Would hot showers be a reason for more divers to come camp at our park. Or any suggestions that would help increase our visitation.

Hope to see everyone soon.

Phil

Outhouse,

I am surprised your comment that you saw some small fish. I had heard that Blue Lagoon had no life in it at all due to the high acid content of the water. (The high acid is also the reason for the good vis, or so I had heard).

A small thing perhaps, but I am thankful for your post to straighten it out.

Outhouse,

I am surprised your comment that you saw some small fish. I had heard that Blue Lagoon had no life in it at all due to the high acid content of the water. (The high acid is also the reason for the good vis, or so I had heard).

A small thing perhaps, but I am thankful for your post to straighten it out.

Hi Steve,

Over the years there have been many myths, rumors, and lies :wink: about the lagoon.

The water actually has a naturally high ph (alkaline) One of my students just tested it Friday with a ph strip.

Yes, there one species of fish that lives in the lagoon. I wish I knew what it was.
We also have seen a couple of turtles.

Come out and visit!!!!

Thanks

Phil

Over the years there have been many myths, rumors, and lies :wink: about the lagoon.

The water actually has a naturally high ph (alkaline) One of my students just tested it Friday with a ph strip.

Yes, there one species of fish that lives in the lagoon. I wish I knew what it was.

FWIW: Here's what I can add, but not sure which category it falls into: truth, myth, or rumor, but I swear I'm not lying :crafty:

During my open water certification in 2002, I was told about the high ph and that the marine biology(?) or some dept. @ Texas A&M had experimented in breeding a fish that could live in a high ph, alkaline environment and succeeded... the result being all those little fish there today.

Leave it to a bunch of Aggies to go foolin' with mother nature. Don't know if it's true, but the story had more details than I can recall, and at the time it seemed plausible... 'course so did a lot of other dive stuff I no longer agree with :wink:

any idea on the PH number? Maybe some cichlads would be a good choice to start adding. they can survive in around 7.0-9.0. - some african cichlads can survive and thrive in 9.3.

Cool write-up. I got my YMCA OW cert there in 1991 and haven't dove there since 93! I'd like to make a trip this summer.

any idea on the PH number? Maybe some cichlads would be a good choice to start adding. they can survive in around 7.0-9.0. - some african cichlads can survive and thrive in 9.3.

I called my student and asked her what the numbers were and she said it was a low ph. :shocked2:

When she tested it on Sat she told me it was very alkaline. :confused: Since low ph is acidic there is obviously some confusion.

I am personally going to check it out Saturday and will give a accurate report.

a friend of mine and i dove there today. vis was about 20' and temp was 79. we were the only ones there most of the day. i dove doubles with a drysuit and light undergarment for the first dive and was comfortable if not a little warm. on the second dive, i let him try my doubles and i switched to my wetsuit and al80. i forgot how light those things are!

had 2 good dives

brett

Outhouse,

Thanks for the write up. We enjoy being out there and visiting with all the divers. I need to correct you on that entry fee. Its only $16.00 If you got charged extra let me know. I will make it up to you on your next visit.

We had a pretty hard rain Saturday night. The roads got pretty mushy but hardened up quickly.
The dozer was back at work Monday.

Just curious, We are contemplating digging a water well. Would hot showers be a reason for more divers to come camp at our park. Or any suggestions that would help increase our visitation.

Hope to see everyone soon.

Phil

Hot Showers would be a big +.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom