Blue Hole Survey

Should an EXPERIENCED diver with limited time go to the Blue Hole?

• Yes; if you have the skill to manage it, it is worth the time and expense.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No; with limited time, you are better off exploring other sites.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • It is marginally worth it, partially because of the other sites on the trip.

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I have read both the recent threads on the Blue Hole, and there seems to be a wide range of beliefs. I think there is a strong consensus that it is not a good choice for a beginning diver, but the opinions seem mixed for the experienced diver. Please participate in this survey only if you have actually been there yourself.

EDIT; The question means a diver has a limited time vacation and wants to choose carefully.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about limited time on the vacation?

When I went to Belize, I dove the Blue Hole. That dive in itself is a BTDT dive. There's really nothing to see. The caverns are too dark. You basically descend, swim through the cavern, and ascend. The only thrill was seeing the outlines of the Bull Sharks about 30 feet away, but it was really too dark to see much else.

What makes this trip worth it is the wall dives afterwards. If you're diving off Ambergis, you'll see decent reefs, but not great reefs. These reefs are open to the sea, visited a lot, and the walls don't start until you reach 100+ feet, and the dive guides don't want anyone going below 80 feet there anyway. The walls further south around the smaller cayes start at 30-40 feet and have lots of coral and sponges. These sites are pristine. They are protected and not visited as frequently. These dives alone make it worth the ride out.

So, if forced to choose one of your responses, I'd choose the 3rd one. However, I can't say I regret diving the Blue Hole in and of itself. It was a different experience, nothing to really see, but I can say I've been there.

Dive-aholic:
The walls further south around the smaller cayes start at 30-40 feet and have lots of coral and sponges. These sites are pristine. They are protected and not visited as frequently. These dives alone make it worth the ride out.
So are these walls only accessible on Blue Hole excursions? Which reefs are you talking about? Can you be more specific?

I havent done Blue Hole, but have never talked to anyone who has that had a different opinion than you stated, BTDT.

Willie

wet-willie:
So are these walls only accessible on Blue Hole excursions? Which reefs are you talking about? Can you be more specific?

I havent done Blue Hole, but have never talked to anyone who has that had a different opinion than you stated, BTDT.

Willie
As someone mentioned on another thread, if they get enough people that want to do it, it's possible to have a dayboat trip to Lighthouse or Turneffe atoll for 3 nice wall dives and skip the Blue Hole (which is at Lighthouse.) Half Moon Caye is a popular dive area also at Lighthouse and is also a park where it's typical to do lunch. If you are staying south (Plancencia area) you could head out to Glovers atoll.

You can also dive these places by liveaboard, or by staying at one of the resorts out on one of the cayes. The Sun Dancer and Aggressor go out to Lighthouse or Turneffe and stay there all week, which should tell you something. And the Nekton spends most of it's time there too, except for also going down to Glovers on it's "southern" itinerary. Obviously a liveaboard is not an option if by limited time you mean you're not there for the week. Turneffe Island Lodge is one resort option. There's Manta Resort at Glovers. There was also Lighthouse Reef Resort but it is closed for renovation. I think there's others I haven't heard much about.

Maybe I am the oddball, wouldn't be the first time, but I thought the blue hole was really cool. I dove it twice the last time I was in Belize (we were staying at Lighthouse Reef and convinced the DM to let us do it a second day). I loved swimming through the stalagtites. I couldn't get over how big the grouper were. Perhaps because I am used to 10-15' viz on a normal dive day up in New England, I really wasn't bothered by the less than 100' viz at the BH. I really liked the bird santuary too and the following dives. It's a different dive than most you would do, and I like doing unique dives.

Willie, you can dive the walls without the Blue Hole dive, but like Damsel said, they need enough interest. Most people opt for the Blue Hole trip though because it's the Blue Hole.

oceancat, I dive 5' viz on a regular basis. I just didn't see the attraction to the Blue Hole. I go to Florida to dive caves. I'll go to Mexico eventually to see the stalagtites. In Belize, I wanted to see the reefs. Although next time, I'll take a couple of days to go check out their cenotes. :D

If the Blue Hole was all that exceptional- how come the only pictures of it that you see in the Belize ads (or anywhere else) are from the air?

Think about it.

Too long a trip to get there. Too deep for most. A loooong way to medical assistance if you screw up.

Most divers get sucked into the trip anyway.

Why? Marketing.

My wife and I are newbe divers and our first dive trip was to Belize. We decided to do the Turneffe Elbow trip instead of the blue hole. I just don't see what the big deal is about diving the blue hole...unless it's just to say you did it. I would much rather do a reef wall dive in the area instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom