Blue Hole Belize Poll

What's your opinion on diving Blue Hole Belize?

• Did it, would like do it again.

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Did it, not interested in a repeat

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • Haven't done it but I want to

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • Haven't done it and not interested

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had sharks come within 6 feet of us at 137 feet - and if you use ProTech Belize for your gas fills, they have 28% O2 Nitrox available - perfect for this dive! We were the last 2 divers in line in "group 2", and my wife got a really good picture of one shark as it came straight toward us then turned face down, belly towards us and went straight down into the semi-murky blue . . .

We were on the Amigos Del Mar large boat for this all-day dive trip from Ambergis Cay over Memorial Day week in 2003. The other 2 dives done that day were very nice also, and lunch of (what else) stewed chicken, rice, & beans with the homemade habanero chunky salsa and pies for dessert on half moon caye was great too.

I'd certainly do that again!!! ProTech Belize had a large boat they were refitting for use as an overnight liveaboard and blue hole tripper, I don't know whether they finished this project or not. The large Amigos Del Mar boat was fine, and the captain gave very good, clear, thorough dive briefings.

Belize has some great dive spots, but I think the Blue Hole is overrated. However, I am glad I can say "Been there. Done that" anyway. It's the deepest I've been and probably ever will be. It's a strange sensation to hover over a huge space without seeing the bottom. As for things I saw, I wasn't as lucky as some who've already posted, but not as unlucky as others. I saw a lobster, large angelfish, big schools of other fish, and 3 white-tipped shark from far, far away.

definitely do once. The full day excursion from AC cost me close to $200 with 2 other dives (spots). amigos del mar was the charter.

Just returned from 7 weeks in Belize and Honduras. Dove about 18 dives on Lighthouse (Half Moon and Long Cayes) but didn't bother with the Blue Hole. Too high $$$ for too little bottom time... I'd rather do a 70-80 minute dive on the reef edge and really see some good subject material for my video (as I did).

Just my 2$ BZ worth!

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Just returned from 7 weeks in Belize and Honduras. Dove about 18 dives on Lighthouse (Half Moon and Long Cayes) but didn't bother with the Blue Hole. Too high $$$ for too little bottom time... I'd rather do a 70-80 minute dive on the reef edge and really see some good subject material for my video (as I did).

Just my 2$ BZ worth!

Dr. Bill
I'm jealous! 7 weeks! When you get a chance, can you give some more detail about your dives and what you'd recommend?

Did it four times. The first time was exciting, especially to see the giant stalactites and realize the time it took to produce these giants. The other three times I did it was just to gather more video footage for production use. In 15 min. you can't really gather much video. I was awed the the first time, just "worked" the other 3 times. If I didn't have a purpose to dive her the other 3 times, I probably would have passed. It was kind of like diving a cold water quarry in Ohio except the viz is much better.

Barracuda2

gj62- Because I was diving off a small cruise ship (Lindblad Expeditions) on which I was working as a marine biologist and underwater videographer, many of the places we dove are not ones frequented by most dive operators. Most of the dives were at Half Moon Caye and Long Caye, Lighthouse Reef, with both locations being great. A number of check-out dives were at Goff's Caye near the "English Channel" out of Belize City. Other locations included Coco Plum, Laughing Bird, Lime, and Seal Cayes located along the barrier reef south of Goffs.

While staying at Caye Caulker, the winds were strong enough to prevent us from crossing the barrier reef so our dives were at Sergeants (near Goffs), Hol Chan and Shark & Ray Alley. None of those dives matched Lighthouse (as expected) due to swell and current caused by the winds.

After 7 weeks of 80 degree water, I'm not looking forward to diving my home (Catalina) this weekend!

Dr. Bill

Dr Bill - thanks for the update. Must have been great. Did my fair share of Catalina diving growing up, and got my instructors there with Jon Hardy... Now in a land-locked state - I'd trade you anytime!

Did it, done it, dang if I waste my time on it again.
If ya like quarries and lakes, you'll love it.
Cold water at around 20 or 30fsw (if memory serves me correctly), and the vis didn't open up until about 80fsw but then with 80 feet of murky water overhead.....you needed a flashlight (or torch for all you euro's) to see the marine encrusted stalagtites.
Don't mean to be so negative but that's the way I see it.
I stand with gj 62......"been there, done that".

That's the truth and I'm stick'n to it" Sound familiar dnhill <g>

gj62- Assume you know that Jon Hardy passed away of cancer a few years ago. His SO Vicky Durst is still on the island and we dive together when our schedules permit. I worked with Jon on Catalina back in the early 70's. He's missed.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom