Blue Hole Belize Poll

What's your opinion on diving Blue Hole Belize?

• Did it, would like do it again.

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Did it, not interested in a repeat

Votes: 28 33.3%
  • Haven't done it but I want to

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • Haven't done it and not interested

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There's occasional discussion on whether the Blue Hole is worth diving or not and I'm curious about the overall numbers.

I answered yes, but there is a qualifier.

Lighthouse Reef Atoll is some awesome diving. It's where the Nekton spends some time, *without* doing the Blue Hole. For most people staying in Belize, I would say the Blue Hole is worth the trip as a "log book dive", assuming that you dive other sites nearby - Half Moon and Long Caye come to mind...

Don't get me wrong - it's a good been there, done that dive - in so far as there is usually a good deal of large fish, some interesting formations, etc. We were the first boat there, so it was very nice. I hear in the afternoons, when there are 8 or so boats crowded in there, it is less enjoyable. I stayed on Turneffe, and the ride out was on a 48' - very comfy. I doubt I'd go on some the over-sized whalers they take out from the mainland - 2.5 hours of grab & toss... If you go, go on a decent boat that will leave early enough to spend the day.

Answered yes because I will be on the Aggressor in May and we will stop there. If we did not do the dive it, I would not be too disappointed unless it was do to bad weather and there was no diving at all.

dnhill

From what I've read I think it's definitely worth diving and I'll tell you all how it was sometime after my trip to Belize in March.

The most interesting part of diving blue hole is when you "hang" there, and don't feel the wave, no movement of anything, no noise at all except your exhale bubbles, that was the closest one can get to the feeling of "in space". It is so serene and clear and ..... cannot be describe. You need to try it.

It's a very unique dive site that I would strongly recommend it to anybody. If you go to Berlize for diving, I would suggest making an effort to dive the blue hole.

I stayed at Turneffe Flats. It's only 50min away from the Blue Hole with their twin Honda 200 engine boat. It will take 3hr from Ambergris Key to get to blue hole. If you stay at Turneffe, be careful if you decide to walk around the island, especialy at night, There are salt water crocs. The resort where I stayed lost 2 dogs to crocs. Every morning we saw croc foot prints on the beach, which was only 15 ft or so from my hut! We went Croc hunt"with flash light and boat" one night and saw a 12ft croc about 300 yards from our night dive spot and hour ago!

With the speed boat, we arrived at the outer "rim" of the blue hole within 50min, before 9am. We were the only boat there. That's the key, get there before the crowd.

We found the "break" on the rim and went inside. Anchored by the edge of the "inner rim" at 20 ft water. Back rolled and swam to the drop off and "free fall". While the wave pound on the outer wall of the "rim", the water was unbelievably calm inside the rim. Except your exhale bubble, you won't hear anything, nor feel the motion of wave as you free fall. Very strange and unique feeling. It was the calmest salt water dive I have ever had!

Watch you depth though, the bottom depth of the hole was around 440 ft, if you free fall facing away from the wall and with no reference, you may not aware how fast you "fall" and past the safety limit. There is a little swim through and slight open over pass where you can swim under at around 141 to 145 ft. Very beautiful stalactites under the roof. They were formed when it was a limestone cave before it sank under water and become blue hole. Yeah, we are talking thousands of years old stalactites under water!

A few baracudas hanging by the wall. The wall is covered with beautiful anamone gardens and orange, pink ball sponges. When you look up and see the sunlight filter through the hole and beautiful light rays into the hole, almost a religious experience, and I don't have areligion.

Blue hole should not be missed on your dive log. Enjoy.

The Blue Hole is worth diving once. Should you ever find yourself in that vicinity again, I'd try to spend all available bottom time on Half Moon or Long Caye.

I'm for a "did it and I'm glad but it's too damned expensive and or too much trouble" school of thought. I thought the two dives we did with the BH, Long Cay Wall and Halfmoon Cay were ok, but not spectacular. This after the most beautiful dives of my life in Cuba's west end, however and being kind of "reefed out", so the Blue Hole was a relief from that.

Plus, knowing what your limits are - I definitely got narced at depth (tho cautious and not stupid narced) and I guess that's a good bit of humility for a diver to know, eh?
=Terry

ps. I think you're missing a "Did it and it wasn't worth it" on the poll.

terrydarc:
ps. I think you're missing a "Did it and it wasn't worth it" on the poll.

figured "Did it, not interested in a repeat" covered that but maybe not.

One thing I couldn't figure out how to have in the same poll was, of the people who thought it was cool, how many also saw sharks or something cruising around the stalactites. Seems many of the times I've read that someone was excited about this dive, they had. (We saw nothing.)

Agree with "Did it and it wasn't worth it" actually. I guess I'm sort of glad I did it as I'd be wondering if I hadn't, but if I found myself there again on a liveaboard I'd probably skip it and take the time off. (Thus guaranteeing sharks and squadrons of rays for everyone else!)

I'm glad we dived it, saw good stuff going down and coming back up, but not at 140'. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother again especially at $150 a pop and two hours of very early morning (6am) boat ride. We did avoid the crowds and for that I'm very, very thankful. The boats were lining up when we surfaced.

In fact, I'm not sure with the format of diving in Cay Caulker that I would go THERE again, either. They specialized in all day trips, no pick and choose the two morning dives, skip the PM dive I'd seen before in the Carib.

I haven't dove it as of yet but have friends who say this is one dive not to miss!

Back
Top Bottom