Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruddy Turnstone maybe?

That bird is pretty. What kind of bird is it?

Don't know my shore birds, but a couple of minutes with Mr. Google yielded this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Rud...Kw8AT_1IGoAQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=710

---------- Post Merged at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Good lord, your branching out from parking lot blackmail photos to birds, sounds like somebody has time to edit.......
LOL!:D:D:D

My camera has the special feature of working both below and *above* water. I though those birds were real pretty. I like pretty, colorful stuff. :D And, it *was* at the bridge. . .

And editing I am. It's what I do - but generally with stills. I don't need no more fun-making of my lack of video editing skills.:stirpot:

Currently up to a Pygmy Sea Bass that blends in on the bottom like a dragonet, but hops on its dark, ventral fins. Saw them on two different dives last weekend. *And*, its pitcher, coincidentally, is on the very next page after the Chalk Bass!

IMG_4004wa hopper.jpg

Last edited:
Just saying not easy, now back to work!:whip:

Looking for a conditions report on the water viz at BHB...
We are coming down Saturday and some of our friends have cancelled because they are being told that
the water conditions are horrible and that there is trash floating around.
Is there any truth to any of this?

I'm coming down regardless because the family wants to celebrate my 50th birthday way more than I want to.:D

The trash part is true, I live less than a mile north of the bridge and yesterday I pulled a six foot by one foot board out of the water and a sailboat rudder that was about fifty pounds. There is plenty of other trash and rain water is still pouring into the canal I live on. Also spotted a large shark about a mile north of the bridge yesterday in six feet of water. All that said I would be going just to see what has shifted around as a result of the wind and storm surge.

Phil Rudin

Would like to hear some actual vis reports from anyone going today or tomorrow....
Trying to decide to roll the dice for Sunday or Monday

:confused::confused::confused:

It looked murky from the beach area around 1PM today, but the tide was kinda low then also. Lots of debris at the high tide mark. Any reports from anyone who ventured into the water? I'm thinking of Tuesday if conditions improve.

As the first person to write an article to appear in a national magazine about diving under the Blue Heron Bridge, when I had an article appear in Skin Diver's Southern Diver Magazine in 1998, I'm thrilled to see how popular a dive site it has become. And, that it has two different "clubs" that dive it regularly! I understand it is even better now that they've added an artificial reef nearby. I need to go dive it again!

Heard (from another thread) that there was raw sewage from the Earman River dumped into Lake Worth Lagoon.

The Palm Beach Post - Google News Archive Search
American Rivers : Sewer Line Breaks, Dumping Raw Sewage in the Hudson
Beaches To Reopen Today - Sun Sentinel
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...t8sIlrFFEV-jRmaWA&sig2=VqVGgTNYKDBmMsrhQk6hOA

From the last one above:

"The growing stench and health concerns in the 1940s and 1950s led to the development of sewage treatment facilities in the 1960s. Currently, no raw sewage flows into the lagoon except during an occasional pipe break or during high rainfall overflow."

Maybe some of you locals know something different, but the above was all I could find with a quick Google search. I'd be interested in learning exactly what "during high rainfall overflow" means, and how that leads to "raw sewage flowing into the lagoon".

---------- Post Merged at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Also found this of interest:

The salinity of Lake Worth Lagoon varies depending on the amount of fresh water that enters the lagoon. During the winter, when there is less rainfall, the salinity will rise. The opposite is true during the summer rainy season or after a major storm event. The average salinity range for Lake Worth Lagoon is 20 to 36 parts per thousand (Dames & Moore, 1990). Changes in salinity are normal in estuaries. After heavy fresh water discharges, particularly near the C-51 canal, salinity values may drop to the single digits. These sudden drops in salinity can cause oysters and young fish to die off.

---------- Post Merged at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Just learnt what some of the plant material that I see on the bottom is. Looks like the "gray", marble-sized "sponge bobs" - baby buffalo trunkfish - are mimicking part of the buttonwood mangrove. Both times that I've run across them at the bridge, I also snapped some shots of these "seeds".

IMG_4098wa buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus).jpgIMG_4094wb.jpg

Those long, green seed pods of the red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle) seem to show up in the vicinity of all the large, yellow garden eels that I've seen at the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom