Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info on the mitigation reef as I have only been there at night when there was no lifeguard to talk to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also saw this worm? Any suggestions on species ID? My first thought was xmas tree worm not attached, but it doesn't look xmas-y enough. I'll repost to Critter ID forum but I figured I'd try here first. I also had to snap this variegated urchin who had collected a chicken bone....

View attachment 210782View attachment 210783

Had no idea what they looked like out of the sand, and have never seen one out. But, somebody posted a green one yesterday on FB and said it was a featherduster. Must be a reason they're out these days. . .

They submerged the 3 hammerhead uw sculptures this morning at 10am. I was worried when I saw the barge with the crane that there was going to be some dredging, but the crane was just for placement. Someone in our group got some pictures of them going in and we'll try and get some uw pics tomorrow. Check out this fireworm party from this morning - I count as least a dozen! fw1.jpg

They submerged the 3 hammerhead uw sculptures this morning at 10am. I was worried when I saw the barge with the crane that there was going to be some dredging, but the crane was just for placement. Someone in our group got some pictures of them going in and we'll try and get some uw pics tomorrow.

[video=youtube;eeQmxULVBZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQmxULVBZ0&[/video]

This is rough...unedited....just shot it to have it...the sinking of the shark statues, and then at the end what they look like for snorkelers.

For those that have asked, here are a few more from Tuesday night.
This is a large sargassum frogfish that made me very glad I was not on the menu!
John

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

BHB-201506173629.jpg

Lest you think we spent the whole 2.5 hours rolling in the weed (does sound like a Phil Foster parking lot story) here are a few more from our dive

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:02 PM ----------

BHB-201506173750.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

BHB-201506173707.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:07 PM ----------

BHB-201506173816.jpg

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:14 PM ----------

On the way out rushing to beat the permit exit deadline I found of all things another lifetime wish list critter seen at the bridge;
A flapjack batfish, possibly better known as a pancake batfish.
My video was was stone dead but made a handy marker while I chased down my photog and even got a freind from the parking lot to come back and check it out.

photo54.JPG

SWEEET!
John

Last edited:

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:14 PM ----------

On the way out rushing to beat the permit exit deadline I found of all things another lifetime wish list critter seen at the bridge;
A flapjack batfish, possibly better known as a pancake batfish.
My video was was stone dead but made a handy marker while I chased down my photog and even got a freind from the parking lot to come back and check it out.

photo54.JPG

SWEEET!
John

Cool!! Never heard of one. Might that be the same as an Atlantic Batfish? Shorefishes - Gallery

---------- Post added June 21st, 2015 at 01:55 PM ----------

For those that have asked, here are a few more from Tuesday night.
This is a large sargassum frogfish that made me very glad I was not on the menu!
John

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 04:54 PM ----------

BHB-201506173629.jpg

John

I *shall* find one of these some day. *Really* cool!

Cool!! Never heard of one. Might that be the same as an Atlantic Batfish? Shorefishes - Gallery

---------- Post added June 21st, 2015 at 01:55 PM ----------

I *shall* find one of these some day. *Really* cool!

I have no doubt as your heart is pure.
The Atlantic batfish may be right but to me a flapjack by any other name would smell as sweet.
There had been mention of a very similar one but with yellow "feet" but then we went again today and despite epic vis and blinding schools of bait nary a batfish was found.
Quite a few frogfish though, distractions, distractions.
If you want the sargassum posse I can tell you where to look.
And will even help with some advance notice of your visit.
John

....just shot it to have it...the sinking of the shark statues, .....
Thanks Dan !! That really gives a great perspective of the position and the location as well as how far apart they are.

I have no doubt as your heart is pure.
The Atlantic batfish may be right but to me a flapjack by any other name would smell as sweet.
There had been mention of a very similar one but with yellow "feet" but then we went again today and despite epic vis and blinding schools of bait nary a batfish was found.
Quite a few frogfish though, distractions, distractions.
If you want the sargassum posse I can tell you where to look.
And will even help with some advance notice of your visit.
John

There's a small chance that I could be there diving Wed-Fri this week, but I'm feeling pretty lazy. I'll let you know if I gather any energy. Thanks for the offer. :D Hope you've gotten some video of the froggie mating going on down yonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom