Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes, Kelly found first a bright green and then another pink one aka "Deb's funky shrimp" though that may be another image.
2) yes, on sea cucumber, also 4-6 BB's (non spotted) playing jungle jim on an octopus
3) 7 inches, perfect size (and a bandtail sea robin flasher champ while hunting)..
All this over on your directionally compromised slope area some kind soul lead you through....
Hope that helps....
See you soon?
John

I *shall* straighten you out some day concerning the lie of the land in that wonderful area you showed me. Ever find any more of those squats there - or anywhere else?

I'm a little stumped about those bandtails. They seem to have a different "posture" for those big, purty fins - at least the one I saw (tiny guy) and this seven incher of yers, than any of the other sea robins, but I don't find any pics with them looking like that in any of my ID sources.

I'm also a bit stumped about the bumblebees. I went forever without getting a shot of one, and only spotting a couple after turning over a jillion urchins. Now, I've had a couple of instances of them showing up out in the open whilst looking at something else. Weird.

Looks like I could have an opportunity coming up to get down that way again, but the tides for those dates kind of suck. And, it looks like a tennis tournament up in the Boone, NC area might require my presence. Maybe August could work out. . .

--------- Post added July 12th, 2013 at 10:11 AM ----------

Ok, just completely wrong. Got a text from DiveDivaDM saying that she was diving today. Well I'm stuck at work reading SB, so there! :)

So, you are stuck at work READING SB... does your employer know this? Some people actually have to work when they are at work. I can tell already that you are a whiner. And, it was jimw's turn to haul the flag today... and yes he whined & whined & whined...... I couldn't hear him I was under water hehehahahaha

So, you are stuck at work READING SB... does your employer know this? Some people actually have to work when they are at work. I can tell already that you are a whiner. And, it was jimw's turn to haul the flag today... and yes he whined & whined & whined...... I couldn't hear him I was under water hehehahahaha

I'm only whining cause I'm not in the water so that doesn't count!

Btw: I'm good at what I do, what they don't know wont hurt them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

That is ok Kevin, after taking careful measurement and plotting critters per square inch I may of come to understand despite physics, hydro dynamics of current flow and a compass since both ends of slope curve east west your confusion is somewhat forgivable.....
provided you find me a few spotted bumble bees on your next visit.
Kelly gets props for the behavior find, I was so macro focused on the bumblebee shrimp (singular) it wasn't till I stepped back that I realized they were multiples running about and frolicing over a small octo.
Thought they were lunch but he seemed oblivious beyond slapping away the more impertinent banded pests.
Whenever I would fix focus on one or the other the shrimp would "float off" at a crucial moment.
Such are the trials of video under BHB.
On the up side, "our" mustache jawfish is a confirmed "new" find for the bridge.
*I have seen similar sea robins but none that "flash" me while hunting as frequently.
Happy to say, he is the the same area a few times running.
Good luck in Boone, regardless of how weird that sounds.....
John

congrats on the new find! Woot!!!

Over three months now, and I still ain't seen no video. I'm thinkin that jawfish might even make some fun video watching. . .

Just about to finish up the post-processing of that last May dive and complete the most recent filibuster.

As if we'll be *seeing* said octo orgy on these pages inside of two years' time. . . :D

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Biminitwist

What days now and no Mental Block Flicker filibuster???? What is happening?

An aside note, everything from the playground entry west has been an octopus explosion on our last 3 dives so it must be prime time.
Judging by the number "not fighting" they are preparing for the next gen.
Considering pg ++ rating for last night dive video!
John

August works
we have seen all 3 types of searobins there i(n all sizes from tiny to max) from Rob's ID app.
spotted SR I have only seen once
i have relented on the urchin turning for BB shrimp (at least till the tide turns and vis goes to inches) but when you spot one gamboling around the base of a starfish or urchin look close without disturbing them and usually there are more about.
Night dives especially they seemed quite fearless jumping about once you focus on them
I know like everything else there critter wise, it is very seasonal so get it while you can.
Imagine I'm missing many obvious critters and nudies due to lack of concentration and blindness....
But much like your directional impairment one must work to overcome one's handicaps :D
will work on it Monday or Tuesday depending on condition reports....
John

Last edited:
Another recent thread on surfacing from shallow dives. I guess I've always figured that my dives at the bridge are just one long safety stop, anyway, so surfacing at any time seems no big deal. I still come up pretty slowly and don't hold my breath, but I had never considered it particularly dangerous. AAMOF, if I didn't pop up for a look pretty regularly on those low viz days, my body woulda probably washed up in Spain a while back. Am I missing anything??

Another recent thread on surfacing from shallow dives. I guess I've always figured that my dives at the bridge are just one long safety stop, anyway, so surfacing at any time seems no big deal. I still come up pretty slowly and don't hold my breath, but I had never considered it particularly dangerous. AAMOF, if I didn't pop up for a look pretty regularly on those low viz days, my body woulda probably washed up in Spain a while back. Am I missing anything??

Yes, hopefully a boat prop!
eek.gif

After a few bouts of ear/chest pain from frequent surfacing to find my flag sherpa I starting looking at the ascent speed warning on my computer and even though I: "come up pretty slowly and don't hold my breath" it showed I was ascending far too fast for it's liking.
Vaguely remember something about gas expanding the most the last 15 feet but that can't apply.....

Kev- will answer all your questions and explain that whole compass thingee when you next visit, till then here are some more from Kelly (ps. don't hold your breath on that video, lol)
here are the two "Deb's funky shrimp" in pink and brown, can't find the recent green one's photo from that dive, not to worry lots of video of all three.......incredible
Last shot, face of that player band tail robin

Jenny- thanks, just imagine what I could find if you came with us :D:D:D

More photos from June, can it already be mid July????

Attachments

• BHB-201306217887.jpg
    BHB-201306217887.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 72
  • BHB-201306217909.jpg
    BHB-201306217909.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 107
  • BHB-201306218007.jpg
    BHB-201306218007.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 71
  • BHB-201306218049.jpg
    BHB-201306218049.jpg