Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bob, great to hear from you.

Yes, after 1000 dives, I had to get "the card." I was OW in 1978 and have lots of challenging dives under my belt including stage deco dives to 225'. But, a couple shops (who do not know me) say they will not even accept my last 200 logged dives or my lifetime experience to take me deeper than 60'. I think this is an unfortunate trend for either insurance or PADI financial purposes, that cost me an unnecessary $400 for a card that anyone can get with a total of 9 lifetime dives. Still, I felt a little sense of accomplishment, even though I could have taught the course, and Maribi really did not need it any more than I did, as she is over 110 dives with some very challenging dives as well (non deco to 135, 100' at night in strong currents on a wreck with drifting ascent, etc).

Have to say, though, even compared to our more aggressive dives, the BHB remains one of our very favorites, without question.

Hope we can get together and dive in June.

Hi Bob, great to hear from you.

Yes, after 1000 dives, I had to get "the card." I was OW in 1978 and have lots of challenging dives under my belt including stage deco dives to 225'. But, a couple shops (who do not know me) say they will not even accept my last 200 logged dives or my lifetime experience to take me deeper than 60'. I think this is an unfortunate trend for either insurance or PADI financial purposes, that cost me an unnecessary $400 for a card that anyone can get with a total of 9 lifetime dives. Still, I felt a little sense of accomplishment, even though I could have taught the course, and Maribi really did not need it any more than I did, as she is over 110 dives with some very challenging dives as well (non deco to 135, 100' at night in strong currents on a wreck with drifting ascent, etc).

Have to say, though, even compared to our more aggressive dives, the BHB remains one of our very favorites, without question.

Hope we can get together and dive in June.[/QUOTE]

Will wave the log book if you post a few more pics, curious to see what you are calling batfish? varies......
Gave up on logged dives, now say 20 and see how they treat me........
Last DM laid on bottom and said "work on better "stability" for good photos......
LOL!
John

Maribi and I did our AOW dives at the bridge on Saturday, but did not see a whole lot as most of the time was training exercises.

After boat dives on Sunday, treated ourselves to a celebration dive (we got our AOW) at the Bridge on Monday. Surprisingly, relatively few divers and almost no classes, nice.

Hey Guy, congrats. It was nice meeting you and your wife in class. Sorry I missed you guys on Sunday, I woke up and had no chance of being able to clear my ears. I saw the video on YouTube of the boat trip, there sure were a lot of sharks and some Hammers to boot!

Hey Guy, congrats. It was nice meeting you and your wife in class. Sorry I missed you guys on Sunday, I woke up and had no chance of being able to clear my ears. I saw the video on YouTube of the boat trip, there sure were a lot of sharks and some Hammers to boot!

Hope you are feeling better. We missed having you along. The only sharks however were two nurse sharks on the second dive. There was someone off shooting video who said he saw a tiger but the group didn't.

Hope you are feeling better. We missed having you along. The only sharks however were two nurse sharks on the second dive. There was someone off shooting video who said he saw a tiger but the group didn't.

I'm getting there. I'll contact Robert about a make up soon.

On another note, next night dive at BHB is Thursday June 6 @ 7pm.

I think Maribi and I will go to that one.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2013 at 09:39 AM ----------

Will wave the log book if you post a few more pics, curious to see what you are calling batfish? varies......
Gave up on logged dives, now say 20 and see how they treat me........
Last DM laid on bottom and said "work on better "stability" for good photos......
LOL!
John[/QUOTE]

Hi John, unfortunately did not have my camera with me as it was stolen in New York and am waiting to accumulate funds to replace it. The only batfish I know of are the large ones (12" or so) with the two pectoral fins that they walk on and "feet" underneath, the big square heads and pouty pink lips, and mottled, wrinkly skin in a variety of colors. So ugly they are cute.

Hi John, unfortunately did not have my camera with me as it was stolen in New York and am waiting to accumulate funds to replace it. The only batfish I know of are the large ones (12" or so) with the two pectoral fins that they walk on and "feet" underneath, the big square heads and pouty pink lips, and mottled, wrinkly skin in a variety of colors. So ugly they are cute.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your camera, missing your images.
Gottcha though, roughback, shortnose, polka dot batfish all highly enjoyable still waiting to see the pinnate batfish at the bridge though.....

Laz: your truly a great strewart of the sea and it seems to know it. Excellent work.
John

Attachments

• 01_Pinnate_Batfish.jpg
    01_Pinnate_Batfish.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 197
Someone asked what a batfish looks like. Not a great pic, but the first image from when Jenny and I found this little fellow at BHB this last Sun

---------- Post added May 30th, 2013 at 10:52 PM ----------

The second pic is a closer shot of a batfish, shot by an Instructor, Ham from the Jupiter Dive Center when my gf was doing some specialty training with him last year at BHB.

Attachments

• M0014221cl-.jpg
    M0014221cl-.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 63
  • colleenBridge 021.jpg
    colleenBridge 021.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/